Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
These crispy air fryer buffalo chicken wings are quick and easy to whip up and make for the tastiest appetizer or star of your main dish!
Buffalo Wings Air Fryer Recipe
These crispy air fryer buffalo chicken wings deliver all the flavors of a classic buffalo wing. With only three, simple ingredients, they are a breeze to whip up and cook in no time using the air fryer. Whether they’re being served as a main protein or a delicious side on game day, these classic wings are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Air Fried Buffalo Wings Ingredients
The ingredients are so simple! You’ll need chicken wings, salt and pepper (to season the wings), and buffalo sauce and butter for the sauce. Here’s the full list:
- Chicken Wings – to start, you’ll need 1½-2 pounds of chicken wings.
- Sea Salt + Black Pepper – before the wings head into the air fryer, you’ll season them with a ½ teaspoon of sea salt and a ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Buffalo Sauce – 3 tablespoons of your favorite buffalo sauce gives these wings the classic flavor you love.
- Melted Butter – 2 tablespoons of melted butter is all you need to finish off the sauce.
The flavors of this recipe are classic and simple, but there are still plenty of ways to change things up. Here are a few ideas:
- Use a different sauce: love the idea of crispy wings, but want a different flavor profile? Check out our recipes for honey BBQ, lemon pepper, and teriyaki wings!
- Try a dry rub: want wings but not the wet sauce? Try using a combination of dry spices to deliver the punch of flavor. Garlic granules, onion granules, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper give a similar classic flavor.
- Make them dairy-free: if you’re looking to make this buffalo sauce dairy-free, simply omit the butter or swap with a dairy-free butter (I like Miyoko’s Cultured Vegan Butter).
Supplies Needed to Make This Recipe
How To Make Buffalo Wings in Air Fryer
The process for these wings is so easy and quick! Here’s how you’ll do it:
- Preheat the air fryer – to start, you’ll want to preheat your air fryer to 400℉ (if it requires preheating).
- Season the wings – to get the crispiest wings, pat the wings dry with a paper towel, then season them with salt and pepper.
- Air Fry – place the seasoned wings in the air fryer in a single layer (make sure they’re not touching or overlapping – cook in batches if you need to!) and cook at 400℉ for 10 minutes.
- Flip and continue cooking – after 10 minutes, flip the wings over and cook on the opposite side for an additional 10 minutes.
- Flip and cook once more – to give the wings one final crisp, flip them back over and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Make the sauce – while the wings are in the air fryer, add the buffalo sauce and melted butter to a large bowl and whisk until combined. Note: using a bowl large enough for the wings to whisk the sauce will keep you from having an extra dirty dish later!
- Toss the wings in the sauce – once the wings are out of the air fryer, add them to the large bowl of sauce and toss the wings to coat evenly!
- Serve and enjoy!
How Long to Cook Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
This recipe calls for 25 minutes of cooking time, but the wings actually cook a lot faster! The extra bit of time helps the wings get nice and crispy. Who doesn’t love a crispy chicken wing?!
Do you have to flip wings in the Air Fryer?
While you technically don’t have to flip the wings in the air fryer for them to cook through, flipping halfway through cooking and again at the end ensures you get that extra crispy chicken wing that you love!
Can you cook frozen buffalo wings in the Air Fryer?
You can absolutely cook frozen chicken wings in the air fryer if you don’t have fresh. You’ll want to add anywhere from 5-10 minutes onto the cooking time.
Do you toss wings in sauce before or after cooking?
For the crispiest air fryer wings, you’ll want to wait until after they finish cooking to toss the wings in the sauce. To achieve the perfect crisp, your wings should be as dry as possible when they head into the air fryer.
What to Serve with Air Fried Buffalo Wings
These wings would be so tasty alongside these sweet potato fries for a sweet and spicy combo! If you’re looking for a lighter option, a simple mixed greens or arugula salad would be a super tasty accompaniment to your crispy wings.
Storing Air Fryer Hot Wings
While these crispy, air fryer wings are best enjoyed straight from the air fryer, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or the freezer for up to three months.
How to reheat hot wings in an Air Fryer
To reheat your wings in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 350℉. Place your leftover chicken wings in the basket in a single layer, making sure they don’t overlap, and cook for 7-10 minutes (flipping halfway through) until they’re hot and crispy.
Just for You
Want more recipes and ideas like this?
- 1.5-2 pounds chicken wings
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat the air fryer to 400℉ (if it requires preheating).
- Pat the wings dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned wings in the air fryer in a single layer (make sure they’re not touching or overlapping – cook in batches if you need to) and cook at 400℉ for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, flip the wings over and cook on the opposite side for an additional 10 minutes.
- To give the wings one final crisp, flip them back over and cook for 5 more minutes.
- While the wings are in the air fryer, add the buffalo sauce and melted butter to a large bowl and whisk until combined. Note: using a bowl large enough for the wings to whisk the sauce will keep you from having an extra dirty dish later!
- Once the wings are out of the air fryer, add them to the large bowl of sauce and toss the wings to coat evenly!
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply