Curried Kale Saladjump to recipe
This simply prepared but big-flavored curried kale salad is a fun new way to enjoy the hearty green!
Today's recipe is an ode to my favorite vegetable: kale, always and forever. The hearty green first blipped on my foodie radar when I was in my early twenties living in Austin, TX. As a last ditch effort to follow a mainstream diet (with the hopes that it'd help heal my increasingly unhealthy body), I started to dabble in veganism. Though the entirely plant-based diet didn't work for me (spoiler alert: I eventually landed on a mostly-Paleo type plan), I did walk away with a few GREAT veggie prep know-how's. Few people prep vegetables as well as my vegan friends. The dishes were always so diverse and inventive! Pies made from butternut squash, fritters made from yucca, and salad made with kale.
After enjoying a bit of kale salad that had been prepared with fresh lime juice, sea salt, and pomegranate seeds, I was HOOKED on the super veg. The dense green came to life thanks to big accompanying flavor. Note: you can find this salad on my blog here (please forgive my circa 2012 terrible food photos) or an update version in my book on page 178.
I created today's salad in this same vein. Big flavors to accompany a big vegetable. This time, we're leaning on curry, a little tahini, and golden berries (tart and delicious).
The base of this curried kale salad is actually a mixture of two different kinds of kale: dinosaur (the not-curly one) and purple. Though you can absolutely use two bunches of *one* kind of kale, I like the idea of mixing in the slightly different array of micronutrients available in the purple.
The kale is de-stemmed (important step for raw kale consumption) and then finely chopped. The dressing comes together by tossing all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing well. Massage the dressing into the kale (use your hands, they're much better at the job than a pair of tongs) and then plate. I topped this salad with a generous shake of wonderfully tart golden berries and some crisp green onion.
Know that this curried kale salad makes a LOT, so modify according to your needs. Also know that a dressed kale salad (unlike other salads) actually holds up REALLY well as leftovers. This big batch of prepared vegetable helps to hold me accountable to getting in my greens all week.
I hope you enjoy!Print
Curried Kale Salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings 1x
- 2 bunches fresh kale, destemmed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 lemons, juiced (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1/2 cup golden berries, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, for garnish
- Place the chopped greens in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth. If it's too thick, add one teaspoon of water at a time until it thins to your liking. Taste and add additional salt/pepper as you like. Note: the thickness variation is due to a variation in tahini consistency.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and massage it in.
- Transfer the salad to your serving bowl, garnish with the berries, chopped onion, and enjoy!