Egg-Free Breakfast Skilletjump to recipe
This Egg-Free Breakfast Skillet calls for crispy breakfast sausage, my go-to lemony kale, satisfying hash browns, and a delicious avocado sauce. It's a great make-ahead breakfast option for the week!
On a pretty regular rotation, I like to bring you egg-free breakfast options because I know there are A LOT of folks out there who like to (or need to) avoid them. Here are a few examples from the archives:
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
- Bison Plantain Breakfast Bowl
- Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Bowl
- Chorizo Sheet Pan Breakfast
I like to think that the secret to a really great egg-free breakfast is a variety of flavors, textures, a breakfast-friendly protein, tasty vegetables, and SAUCE. This egg-free breakfast skillet calls for breakfast sausage, my favorite lemony-kale, potato (hash brown style), and the darn tastiest avocado sauce. If you can't find a breakfast sausage that you enjoy, know that you can use ground pork seasoned with salt, pepper, and fennel.
Know that this egg-free breakfast skillet freezes really well, if you're looking to meal prep for the freezer! The sauce maintains its green, too.
I hope you enjoy!Print
Egg-Free Breakfast Skillet
This egg-free breakfast skillet combines hash browns, breakfast sausage, and kale, then is topped with a creamy cilantro avocado sauce for a tasty, meal prep-friendly breakfast that the family will love!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
For the Breakfast Skillet:
- 2 pounds bulk pork breakfast sausage (without casing)
- 1 head of kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons ghee, butter, or other fat of choice
- 2 pounds potatoes, shredded (or 2 pounds frozen hash browns)
For the Sauce:
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2–3 tablespoons water
- Additional cilantro, for garnish
- In a cast iron over medium heat, brown the breakfast sausage for 7-10 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped and de-stemmed kale to the pan along, and saute for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and the lemon juice, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the 3 tablespoons ghee to the pan. Once melted, add the potatoes. Season potatoes with 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, then flip, and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy and cooked through. Return the kale and breakfast sausage to the pan.
- Blend together all sauce ingredients, adding in water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved. Drizzle the sauce on top of the breakfast skillet and serve.