Chorizo Potato Breakfast Meatballsjump to recipe
Chorizo potato breakfast meatballs are the perfect grab & go breakfast. Made with ground pork, shredded potatoes, spinach, and a mild chorizo seasoning, these will quickly become your new favorite breakfast!
We're kicking off Week 2 of our Cook Once, Eat All Week meal planning series with a spin on one of our most popular recipes – breakfast meatballs! These chorizo potato meatballs are perfect for mornings where you are pressed for time but still want to get a healthy breakfast in. With ground pork, shredded potatoes, spinach, and an optional creamy avocado dipping sauce, you'll get healthy protein, carbs, and fat in every bite and be fully satiated until lunch.
You can make a big batch of these meatballs and eat them all week, or you can make it even further in advance and freeze them for whenever you need them.
Chorizo Potato Breakfast Meatball Ingredients
These meatballs are made with just a few simple ingredients:
- Ground pork. We used ground pork for the base of these meatballs, as it is what is traditionally used for chorizo and breakfast sausage, but you can also substitute ground turkey here if you'd like!
- Chorizo seasoning. While you can buy chorizo and use it here if you'd like, we opted for a chorizo seasoning for a milder spice that makes these totally family-friendly.
- Shredded potatoes. The carb component for these meatballs is shredded potatoes! You'll need about 1 pound of russet or Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe. If you're on a low carb plan, feel free to leave them out!
- Spinach. We decided to go with chopped baby spinach for our meatballs to add some greens. We love starting the day with some veggies, and this is a great way to get them in.
- Avocado sauce. The avocado sauce is optional, but really turns these into a treat! It's made with avocados, lime juice, and cilantro and will keep all week.
How to Make Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Meatballs
Our goal was to make sure it was as easy as possible to make these chorizo potato breakfast meatballs so that you can simply add them on to your Sunday meal prep.
- Shred the potatoes. First up, you'll shred the potatoes. You can do this with a regular box grater or using the shredder attachment of your food processor. Potatoes hold a lot of water, so after they are shredded, place them in a tea towel and squeeze out the excess water, then set them aside.
- Chop the spinach. Next, you'll want to finely chop the spinach. We recommend using fresh baby spinach, as frozen will be very watery.
- Mix everything together. Now that you've finished the prep, you'll add the ground pork, seasonings, potatoes, and spinach to a bowl and work the mixture with your hands until fully combined.
- Roll the meatballs. Next, you'll roll the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls, and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs. Finally, you'll bake the meatballs at 400 F for 25 minutes, until they are fully cooked through.
- Make the sauce. While the meatballs are baking, you can make the sauce by quickly blending all of the ingredients together.
You can either store the meatballs in the refrigerator and reheat them throughout the week, or you can freeze them for later use and reheat them as needed.
More Egg-Free Breakfast Recipes
- Blueberry Sweet Potato Breakfast Meatballs
- Egg-Free Breakfast Skillet
- Bison Plantain Breakfast Bowl
- Chorizo Sheet Pan Breakfast
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
Chorizo Potato Breakfast Meatballs
With mild spice, protein, greens, and healthy carbs in every bite, these chorizo potato breakfast meatballs are the perfect portable, make-ahead breakfast!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8, makes about 32 meatballs
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
For the Meatballs:
- 1 large russet potato (about 1 pound), peeled
- 1 ½ cups chopped baby spinach (may also use kale)
- 2 pounds ground pork (may also use ground turkey)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
For the Sauce:
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2–3 tablespoons water, to desired consistency
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grate the potato (we recommend using the shredder attachment of your food processor for quickest results), then place 1 ½ cups of shredded potato in a tea towel and squeeze the potato to get rid of excess moisture.
- Add the shredded potato to a large bowl along with the remaining spinach, ground pork, and seasonings, then work the mixture with your hands until fully combined.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls then place on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, until the meatballs are fully cooked and browned on top.
- While the meatballs are baking, blend together all sauce ingredients, adding in water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Eat immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 5 months. To reheat, either microwave them for 1 minute, or place in a skillet with a teaspoon of oil over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes per side, until browned and fully warmed through.
Keywords: meal prep, gluten free, low-carb, paleo, freezer friendly