You’re going to love this classic Tuna Noodle Casserole! This creamy and comforting dish is quick and easy to make and will taste just as good as you remember from childhood.
Table of Contents
This recipe is…
This Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe will offer all the nostalgic feels of a home cooked meal and is super easy to have on the table in a flash! Our take on this staple casserole is just as creamy and hearty, but uses responsibly sourced tuna and some key substitutes that make it just a little more nutrient packed than your average tuna casserole. Top this gluten free tuna noodle casserole with some optional melted mozzarella and you’ll have a meal that will make the whole family happy!
If you want more comforting casserole ideas, we’re here to help. This Creamy Chicken Rice Casserole is nutritious and incredibly satisfying while the Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Casserole offers all the traditional Mexican flavors with very little work involved. Lastly, if you’ve got a hankering for a cheesy burger but served on the healthier side, this Cheeseburger Casserole is where it’s at. It’s packed with protein and can even be made Paleo-friendly.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s quick and easy – this tuna noodle casserole is simple to make and will be on the table in no time!
- It makes great leftovers – casseroles always make the best leftovers and this one is no different, offering a comforting meal for today and tomorrow.
Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe Ingredients
You won’t need too many ingredients to enjoy such a creamy and hearty casserole. Tuna, pasta, and mushrooms really make this dish come to life along with a few extras. Find ingredient notes (including substitutions and swaps) below.
- Pasta – we used gluten free noodles here, but you can use any noodles you love.
- Canned tuna – pick up canned tuna either in oil or water, whichever you prefer.
- Mushrooms – grab either button or cremini mushrooms sliced, but canned ones can work in a pinch, too.
A full ingredient list with exact amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
Recipe Variations and Modifications
- Make it dairy-free – swap full-fat canned coconut milk for the whole milk, vegan butter for regular, and hold the cheese topping (unless you can find dairy-free).
How to Make Tuna Noodle Casserole
This tuna noodle casserole recipe is incredibly easy to make! Follow along below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring a large water to boil and cook the noodles according to package instructions, then drain and set aside. While the noodles are cooking, add the butter to a large, heavy-bottomed pan or cast-iron.
Step 2: Once the butter is melted, add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute the veggies for 4-5 minutes, until the onion and mushrooms have started to brown.
Step 3: Add the flour to the onion and mushroom mixture and toss to coat, then slowly whisk in the milk and broth. Continue whisking until there are no remaining clumps.
Step 4: Stir in the salt, pepper, peas, and tuna, and let the mixture come to a bubble. Once bubbling, add the cooked and drained pasta and toss to coat.
Step 5: Top the casserole with mozzarella cheese, and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbling.
Step 6: Remove from the oven, garnish with parsley, serve, and enjoy.
- Make sure to cook the pasta so it is al dente for great texture and to keep from breaking when stirred into the sauce.
- Opt for a larger baking dish for this casserole so the ingredients don’t overflow in the oven as it bakes.
- Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes so that it is easier to cut for serving.
How to Serve
This easy tuna noodle casserole is delicious on its own topped with cheese. However, if you’d like to add more to the meal, you can serve with biscuits or bread, a side of veggies, such as green beans and carrots, or a freshly made salad.
How to Store and Reheat
Store any leftover tuna noodle casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also store leftovers in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to enjoy again, reheat in the microwave for a few minutes until warm. If frozen, allow the casserole to thraw before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Simply follow the steps for this easy tuna noodle casserole but don’t put it in the oven just yet. Refrigerate for up to 25 hours beforehand and then pop it in the oven to bake when ready. You can also place the unbaked casserole in the freezer and thaw once you’re ready to bake.
Typically all tuna is gluten-free, however, some that are seasoned may contain ingredients with gluten so always check the ingredient list beforehand.
If you tried this Tuna Noodle Casserole or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below!
Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 9 ounces noodles, fettuccine, tagliatelle, or linguini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces button or cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⅔ cup whole milk, substitute full-fat canned coconut milk for dairy free
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4, 5- ounce cans tuna, drained
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the noodles according to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, add the butter to a large, heavy-bottomed pan or cast-iron over. Once butter is melted, add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute for 4-5 minutes, until the onion and mushrooms have started to brown.
- Add the flour to the onion and mushroom mixture and toss to coat, then slowly whisk in the milk and broth. Continue whisking until there are no remaining clumps.
- Next, stir in the salt, pepper, peas, and tuna and let the mixture come to a bubble. Once bubbling, add the cooked and drained pasta and toss to coat.
- Transfer the mixture to a 3 quart casserole dish, top with cheese, if desired, and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbling. Remove from the oven, garnish with parsley, and serve!