These Jalapeno Pizza Poppers are a delicious low-carb appetizer that is perfect for your next get together. They’re Paleo-friendly as-is or you can add a little cheese to the top, if you like.
My recipe development process looks a little like this: wander around in everyday life and, when inspiration for a new/awesome recipe strikes, I pull out my phone and write it into a note. Sometime inspiration comes to me when I’m dining out and think “gosh, it’d be awesome to have a healthier alternative for that” and other times, it happens in conversation with people about their favorite foods. My new recipe idea then stays tucked-away in my phone until I eventually remember to add it to my development to-do list.
THIS little cutie recipe has been tucked away on my phone for a long, long, way too long of a time. I *think* I’d originally thought that it’d make a good addition to my printed Fed & Fit Book (hit shelves last August) and then, when it didn’t make it to the book, it fell into the “one day I’ll make it” abyss.
Flash forward to today! My team and I are working out little tail feathers off to get you a STACKED lineup of blog recipes before baby gets here (mid-January). THEN, once she is here, we’re planning to have 3 months worth of recipes ready to go so that I can be with her as much as I need during that time. While we were looking for the perfect September recipes, I rediscovered this gem! September is a special time of year because college football is BACK! I get more excited about this sports season that any other. I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate than with a simple appetizer recipe I’ve loved for years.
These Jalapeno Pizza Poppers are SIMPLE to make. The concept is this: halve and hollow-out a bunch of jalapeno peppers. Then, mix Italian sausage with a little tomato paste, black olives, and seasoning. Press the filling into the peppers and secure with a pepperoni. Bake those little bites of pizza goodness until they look perfect, THEN (if you so desire), add a little cheese and re-bake until melted. Garnish with a few sprinkles of Italian seasoning and serve to your friends and family!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s the beginning of a long line of AWESOME dishes coming your way over the next 5 months.
Jalapeno Pizza Poppers
- 12 medium jalapenos
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup olives sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 pepperonis
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Halve jalapenos lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place peppers on a baking sheet.
- Combine sausage, tomato paste, olives, sea salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning in a medium-sized bowl.
- Stuff the jalapenos with sausage mixture, dividing evenly.
- Lay a pepperoni on top of the stuffed jalapeno, and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with all jalapenos.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- If adding cheese, sprinkle it on the peppers after 30 minutes and return to oven for an additional five minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then serve!