Moroccan Chicken & Rice Skilletjump to recipe
This Moroccan chicken & rice skillet combines perfectly-cooked chicken with bold Moroccan flavors for a simple one-pot meal that's perfect for adding variety to your weeknight dinners!
I LOVE a good one-pot meal. The only thing better than getting to sit down to a quick, delicious meal? Not having to deal with a sink full of dishes afterwards! Now that's my kind of cooking. After the popularity of this Lemon Chicken & Rice Skillet earlier in the year, we knew that we wanted to deliver you more meals like it. This time around, we punched up the flavor with more spices, lemon, and olives.
Let's talk Moroccan spices for a minute. Moroccan cuisine tends to combine both sweet and savory spices with salty elements like olives and preserved lemon to create a deep, rich flavor that sets it apart from any other cuisine. Typically these spices are combined with a protein and vegetables then slowly cooked to create a dish called tajine, but today we are simplifying things a bit for this Moroccan Chicken & Rice Skillet in the name of getting dinner on the table fast!
First, we are going to whisk together the secret weapon here – our spices. You may be worried that it's too much for 2 pounds of chicken, but just trust me, it is going to be goooood! Next, you'll coat the chicken with the spice, then sear it in a heavy-bottomed pan until it is a glorious golden brown. Then, you'll remove the chicken from the pan then add the rice so it can combine with the flavorful browned bits still left in the pan and take on a delicious, toasted flavor. Every step here builds the flavor in this simple dish! Once the rice starts to give off a nutty fragrance, we add in chicken broth, then leave it to cook, later adding in lemon juice, olives, and the chicken to brighten up the flavor and ensure the chicken is perfectly cooked.
Finally, you'll garnish the dish with cilantro and lemon then serve it up! If you'd like to add a veggie, I'd recommend either serving with a side salad or roasting some veggies in the oven as the chicken and rice cook. I hope you and your family enjoy this Moroccan chicken & rice skillet as much as we do!
Moroccan Chicken & Rice Skillet
This Moroccan Chicken & Rice Skillet is a one-pot meal that brings the complex flavors of Moroccan cuisine to an easy, weeknight meal!
For the Moroccan Seasoning:
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Chicken & Rice Skillet
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the Moroccan seasoning until well-combined.
- Liberally season the chicken breast on both sides with the Moroccan blend until fully coated.
- Melt butter (or olive oil) in a skillet over medium high heat. Once melted, add the chicken. Sear for 3-4 minutes per side, until browned.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Add the rice to the skillet over medium-high heat and stir. Cook 1-2 minutes until toasted. It will give off a slightly nutty aroma at this point.
- Add the broth to the pan with the rice and whisk to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once rice is boiling, give it a final stir, add the thyme, and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes has passed, remove the lid from the pot and stir the lemon juice into the rice, then place chicken breasts and olives on top of the rice.
- Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes, then remove from heat, let cool slightly, garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges, and serve!
- You can substitute any type of rice you like in this recipe, just make sure you follow the rice to water ratio on the back of the package.
- If you choose to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs in place of the chicken breast, make sure to drain off the excess fat before adding the rice to the skillet, so you don't wind up with greasy rice.