This easy caprese chicken skillet is a great way to take advantage of summer tomatoes and makes for a perfect weeknight meal.
Table of Contents
Caprese salad is one of my all-time favorite classic dishes. Fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and a drizzle of high-quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar – what’s not to love? So, it’s only natural that we took this salad and turned it into a main dish – so that you can get even more caprese goodness in your life! Even better, we’ve turned this into a one pot meal, so you don’t have to dirty up a bunch of dishes or spend a ton of time making this flavorful dinner.
Fresh + high-quality is the name of the game when it comes to this skillet. 7 ingredients (plus salt + pepper, but do those even count?!) is all you need for this tasty caprese chicken skillet!
- Chicken – you’ll need about 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast for the skillet. Feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if that’s what you have or prefer!
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – we love using a really flavorful high-quality olive oil for this dish. The flavors really shine through!
- Balsamic Vinegar – as with the olive oil, we opt for a thicker, high-quality balsamic also.
- Lemon Juice – half a lemon’s worth of juice coats our chicken (along with the EVOO + balsamic) to add some brightness to the dish. We recommend freshly squeezing your lemon juice – it really makes such a big difference!
- Cherry Tomatoes – a pint of cherry tomatoes get added to the skillet right before it goes into the oven. The tomatoes burst once roasted and are seriously drool-worthy!
- Fresh Mozzarella – what’s better than fresh mozz?! Browned, bubbly, just-out-of-the-oven mozz! Sneak a bite of the fresh while you’re cooking, and enjoy the browned + bubbly mozz in this skillet for dinner!
- Fresh Basil – the hallmark of caprese salad is a must in this chicken skillet!
How to Make
This caprese skillet is so easy and so incredibly tasty. Here’s how you’ll make it:
- Season + sear the chicken. You’ll start this caprese chicken skillet by seasoning the chicken, then searing it on the stove on both sides. We decided to add this step instead of placing the chicken directly in the oven to bake because searing the chicken truly adds so much flavor!
- Add the tomatoes + mozzarella. Once the chicken is browned on both sides, but not fully cooked through yet, you’ll add the tomatoes to the pan and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over top.
- Bake. Bake the skillet for 15 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked, the cheese is melted, and the tomatoes have burst.
- Add fresh basil + enjoy! Finally, you’ll simply sprinkle fresh basil over top, garnish with balsamic vinegar, and serve!
How to Serve
This would be great with a big green salad (think: a simple lemon sea salt arugula salad), a side of rice, roasted potatoes (think: roasted rosemary butter potatoes or rosemary sea salt hasselback potatoes), or some simple roasted veggies to round out the meal.
How to Store and Reheat
Store any leftovers you may have in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Stored this way, it’ll last for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply pop the Caprese-style chicken in the microwave or back on the skillet (over medium heat) until warmed through.
Frequently Asked Questions
According to the Merrium-Webster dictionary, “caprese” means: a salad consisting of slices of mozzarella and tomatoes, basil, and olive oil or Italian dressing.
Traditional Caprese salad calls for sliced tomatoes — a ripe Roma tomato is perfect. This recipe, though, is a skillet spin on Caprese salad and calls for cherry tomatoes.
Easy Chicken Caprese Recipe (One Skillet)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add the chicken, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and sear for 3-4 minutes, until browned, then flip the chicken and sear for an additional 2-3 minutes, until browned, then turn off the heat.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan, then top the chicken with the mozzarella cheese, and bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is browned and bubbly and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve!