What Melissa’s Loving
Today’s What We’re Loving is brought to you by Melissa, Fed & Fit’s Brand and Community Manager:
Hi! Melissa here. I am a food-lover at heart (and have been known to plan entire trips around what we’re eating and when), love the crisp feeling of Fall (still waiting for it to hit here in TX), and reality shows are my guilty pleasure (where are my fellow Real Housewives watchers?). I’m also a mama of two boys, a wife, an advocate in the birthing world and for disability rights, and Fed & Fit’s Brand and Community Manager. Find my unabridged and (mostly) unpolished favorites below. I hope this list inspires you!
- As a mama and outdoor enthusiast, a solid on-the-go pack is crucial to staying organized in helping us get out the door with everything we need. I have been using Pika Products Packing Cubes for over 5 years, and they are my absolute favorite. They come in 3 different sizes, are waterproof, compressible, and the larger sizes convert into backpacks. I use them for packing for vacations, outdoor adventures, and as a portable diaper/snack bag that I can pop into any bag. The small size is perfect for compactly carrying an extra outfit, a few diapers, wipes, and snacks.
- With a 5-year old in school (with a start time of 7:25 am) and a 16-month old, plus work, the mornings are a BUSY time of day in my house. In an effort to ensure I get a decent amount of protein and healthy fat to start my day, I’ve been relying heavily on a semi-boosted protein shake and these Three Bridges Egg Bites (I pick mine up from Costco in a 4-pack). As someone who is intolerant to whey proteins, I love this beef isolate protein powder by Equip in chocolate, plus a scoop of Needed Collagen Protein (you can get 20% off your order with our code, FEDANDFIT20). I blend it with my immersion blender (which is arguably my favorite kitchen tool – there is so much you can do with it!) and finish it off with a drizzle of EVOO or MCT oil.
- Several years ago, I tried Goop Scalp Scrub (not entirely convinced it would live up to its hype), and let me tell you, it does. As someone who will stretch the time between washing as much as dry shampoo will allow me, this scrub comes in clutch for helping to clarify my scalp. My love is especially renewed with the seasons changing to cooler weather, as my scalp can get a little itchy and angry this time of year, and this scrub helps so much to mitigate that. I use it every other or every third wash or so (about 1-2 times a month for me), and it legitimately lasts me an entire year+. I love a high performing product that lasts a long time!
- Speaking of high performing products, Beautycounter just launched our holiday line, and I am officially in LOVE with the new Bamboobuff Exfoliating Polish. As a consultant, I got early access to this product, so have been using it for a few weeks now. It’s a powder, and you add as much or as little as you like to your cleanser, wash your face as usual, and stand in awe at how baby soft your skin feels after. It’s currently available as part of this limited edition set with our two best-selling cleansers in mini size. That, combined with the All Bright Triple Acid AHA Toner (which has also been a game-changer for the pores on my nose), and my skin has reached a whole new level of soft and smooth.
- In addition to the additions to my skincare, I also recently switched from disposable cotton rounds to these reusable Bamboo Organic Cotton Rounds for applying my toners. I bought a couple boxes (they come 20 to a pack and include a little laundry bag to keep them together when you wash them) and have found this to be an easy, sustainable swap of an everyday product. I just keep the little laundry bag hanging next to my sink, put the rounds in the bag after I’ve used them, and wash them when I have about 5 left.
- Let’s talk knives. I’ve been making sourdough creations for about a year and a half now (yes, I jumped on the bandwagon in 2020 after watching my friend, Laura Bruner, bake from afar for a while). I recently decided to treat myself to a new bread knife, as an addition to a new set of knives, and it has changed my sourdough slicing game. It was definitely an investment, but it cuts like butter and brings me so much joy! If you, too, are thinking about taking a venture into sourdough or bread making, I highly recommend investing in a quality knife. Knives are the one kitchen tool (or tools) that really make ALL the difference and are worth the investment over and over again.
- While I may have made a lot of progress on my sourdough making game, baking is still an area for me that leaves a lot to be desired. But that doesn’t mean I can’t dream! And what better way than vicariously through the bakers on The Great British Baking Show. Every Friday evening, you’ll find me curled up on the sofa watching the newest episode, dreaming of baking some of the delicious creations (perhaps one day I’ll be bold enough like my friend Claire to attempt the technical challenges on my own). On your marks, get set, bake!
- As a nursing mama, I have tried a lot of nursing bras over the years, and the ones I continue to come back to are from Kindred Bravely. I love the Kindred Bravely Organic Cotton Nursing and Sleep Bra for comfort at home. I am larger-chested (I wear a 34G for reference), so it doesn’t provide the level of support I am comfortable with outside the house, but it is so comfortable for lounging and sleeping, provides easy access for nursing, and the best part, it doesn’t dig into my shoulders or cause any shoulder/neck pain, like many racerback-style bras do for me. For going out and running errands, I love the Sublime Support Nursing and Maternity Sports Bra. It wears really well for low impact activities and is also really comfy!
- My parents were recently in town and brought a new-to-me game, Quirkle. We love playing and exploring new games as a family. It’s great for 2-4 players, recommended for ages 6+ (although my 5 1/2 year old easily joined in on the fun when partnered with one of the adults), and is a tactical strategy game that is easy to follow. We had so much fun and can definitely see this game becoming a family favorite.
- Last, with October as Filipino History Month and being new to the San Antonio area, my husband (who is 2nd generation Filipino) and I have been on the lookout for an authentic Filipino restaurant. It is important to us that we are able to immerse and educate our boys in as much history and culture as possible (especially since we moved away from the Bay Area, which is rich in Filipino culture). So needless to say, we were so excited to stumble upon Sari-Sari Filipino Restaurant, Market, and Bakery. The business is family-owned, and the food is authentic to the dishes and flavors my husband grew up on. If you are in the San Antonio area and looking to try something new (or perhaps something familiar), I highly recommend checking out Sari Sari!