Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
I literally cannot think of a better way to say “Happy New Year!” than with this most special, important, tasty, crispy, healthy, make-husband-happy recipe for crispy baked buffalo wings!
BEHOLD! The one and only, crispy baked buffalo wings. Once upon a time, I made a Paleo buffalo sauce and posted the recipe here on the blog. It accompanied some chicken wings and people went NUTS. Nuts, I tell you! I literally can’t go to a family gathering without someone saying that they “decided to try a recipe from that blog of yours?” …and… “well, I came across these buffalo wings?” …and… “let me tell you, if that is ‘PALL-E-O,’ then sign me up” … “I’ve never enjoyed buffalo wings so much!” … “my husband [chuckling] didn’t even know they were healthy!”
Encounters like that warm my heart more than I can possibly describe.
Although I personally adored the buffalo sauce, too, I thought the chicken wings needed work. I wanted something more …something, crispier.
I took to my kitchen and experimented like I was learning how to make a Paleo-friendly pie crust (which requires LOTS of trials and errors). Austin thought he’d died and gone to heaven because for almost a week straight, he got hot, delicious, and “almost perfect” crispy baked buffalo wings.
One day, the stars aligned and a lightbulb blinked bright above my head.
“More time in the oven!”
Is it possible that something so simple could be the cure? We’re taught NOT to over-cook meat, especially chicken, but could this be the answer? Is there enough fat in the chicken wing to keep the meat moist and delicious? (sorry I said moist)
The (slightly) abridged version of this story ends with a resounding YES. No breading needed. No special egg wash. You just need to pop those babies in the oven and then go fold laundry, make a flaky Paleo pie crust, or walk the dog. They need to bake for about ONE WHOLE HOUR. I know that sounds like a lot, and yes, you should probably check in on them after about 45 minutes to make sure your oven isn’t over-achieving on the heat index, but that’s what it takes to create the crispiest, dreamiest, “may I have anotha?” buffalo chicken wing.
I hope you enjoy, my friends!
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 pound chicken wings
- 1 + ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and pat dry each chicken wing. Dust evenly with ½ teaspoon of the sea salt plus the ground pepper. Bake at 400 F for approximately one hour, or until golden brown and the skin is hardened when you touch it.
- While the chicken is baking, make the buffalo sauce in a small sauce pan over the stove. Whisk the coconut oil, vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and remaining 1 teaspoon of sea salt together. Let it simmer for 5 minutes then remove from heat. Whisk again just before using.
- When the chicken comes out of the oven, let them rest for 5 minutes then place in a large bowl and pour the buffalo sauce over. Stir and combine until each wing is evenly coated.
- Serve alongside celery sticks and homemade ranch.
Tips: Note that if you make more than 1 pound of chicken wings at a time, you may need to adjust the cooking time in order to get the correct crispy texture. Any leftovers will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Program Compliance: Fed+Fit, 21-Day Sugar Detox, Whole30, GAPS