Gluten Free Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
This carrot cake is moist, fluffy, and can be made in one bowl!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the Cake:
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of cloves
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 stick), melted (may substitute ghee or avocado oil)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, plus additional for topping, if desired
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (use Kite Hill for dairy-free)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened (may substitute ghee)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9×13″ pan with parchment paper, or grease well with butter or oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- Add the eggs, butter, and vanilla into the bowl with the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer until fully combined.
- Pour the milk into the batter and mix until it is smooth, then stir in the carrots, walnuts, and pineapple.
- Pour into the pre-greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, then let cool for at least one hour before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla on high until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Add the powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture one cup at a time, then beat to combine.
Keywords: cake, holiday, easter, carrots, gluten free