Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
This DIY peel-off face mask is made with just a few powerful ingredients and is an incredibly clarifying addition to your weekly skincare routine!
We say YES to face masks! We have several favorites from our favorite safer beauty brands (THIS Primally Pure mask + THIS Beautycounter mask are divine!), but there’s just something *so* neat about making your own mask! It’s incredibly easy, time and budget-friendly, and really takes self-care to the next level.
We’ve created several homemade masks (a Soothing Oatmeal and Avocado Face Mask, an Antioxidant Yogurt and Turmeric Face Mask, and a DIY Pumpkin Mask), but this is our first ever peel-off mask and WE ARE HERE FOR IT!
Why You Should Make Homemade Face Masks
Before we dive into the specifics of this effective homemade peel, let’s chat homemade face masks in general. Why make homemade face masks? Here are a few of our top reasons…homemade face masks are:
- Budget-Friendly – making your own face mask is a tiny fraction of the cost of store-bought masks! If you mask 1-2 per week and rotate between homemade and store-bought masks, your store-bought masks will last you twice as long, saving you some serious cash!
- Super Easy – making face masks at home is incredibly easy – it’s essentially just a mash and mix situation.
- Made with Accessible Ingredients – making your own face mask means that you get to decide exactly what goes in your mask (no obscure, mysterious ingredients in these masks!), and you’ll get to witness the power of real, simple ingredients firsthand!
- A Great Way to Switch Things Up – while you likely have a basic set of go-to skincare products (that you probably use on a daily basis), adding in a few new, beneficial ingredients in the form of a homemade face mask is a great idea – switching things up can work wonders for your skin!
What are the benefits of peel-off masks?
The benefits of peel-off masks are plentiful, y’all!
- Peel-off masks actually remove the top layer of the skin, sloughing away dead skin cells with it. This does wonders for dull skin!
- Because peel-off masks reduce the size of pores, they add firmness to the skin, making the masker (YOU!) look younger!
- Peel-off masks absorb excess oil from the skin.
- If used consistently, peel-off face masks have the potential to diminish fine lines and wrinkles.
Beauty Benefits of Matcha
First of all, what is matcha?! Matcha is, essentially, finely ground green tea leaves, and is oftentimes mixed with water or milk and enjoyed as a hot (or cold!) beverage. Matcha isn’t just for your mug, though!
We love the addition of matcha in this DIY face mask because of the host of skin benefits this powerful green tea powder packs! Matcha powder…
- Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties – matcha is super anti-inflammatory and is known to reduce redness associated with acne and rosacea.
- Is Super Gentle – matcha is known to be super gentle, so it works for all skin types!
- Rejuvenates Your Complexion – because it exfoliates and eliminates dead skin cells, this powerful bright green powder keeps you looking healthy and fresh!
- Combats the Signs of Aging – matcha actually increases elasticity, while protecting your skin from free radicals that cause sun damage, dry skin, and even wrinkles.
- Helps to Rid the Skin of Excess Oil – the tannins present in matcha actually reduce oil production, thus slowing the production of acne.
Beauty Benefits of Aztec Clay
Aztec clay is more accessible and affordable than it sounds (THIS one is great!), and a little goes a long way! Why include clay in your peel-off mask, though? Glad you asked! Aztec clay…
- Is a Natural Cleanser – Aztec clay is an incredibly powerful cleanser all on its own – pretty amazing, right?!
- Draws Out Toxins + Boosts Blood Circulation – Bentonite clay is made up of negatively charged molecules, while the toxins in our bodies are made up of positively charged molecules. Because of this, Bentonite clay actually has the ability to attract the toxins and draw them out of our skin, all the while boosting blood circulation (this may cause your face to be a little rosy at first, but that should go away pretty quickly!).
- Helps to Fight Acne – Bentonite clay can dry up existing pimples, and because it is such a powerful cleanser, can aid in preventing future breakouts.
- Soothes Skin Irritation – Aztec clay is also super soothing and can really help to settle itchy, irritated skin.
- Reduces and Heals Scars – because Bentonite clay is negatively charged, it has the potential to reduce inflammation and the appearance of acne scars, and eliminate scar tissue.
DIY Peel Off Face Mask Ingredients
For this easy DIY mask, you’ll need just a few, simple, natural ingredients! Here’s what to stock up on so that you can make your own peel at home:
- Gelatin Powder – this common ingredient is what makes it possible to peel off the mask!
- Water – 1 tablespoon of water helps dissolve the gelatin.
- Matcha – next you’ll need one teaspoon of matcha…
- Aztec Clay – …plus one teaspoon of aztec clay…
- Lemon Juice – …and finally one teaspoon of lemon juice for extra brightening + antioxidant power!
Can this peel-off face mask be made vegan?
It can! In order to make a vegan version of this face mask, you’ll simply use 1 1/2 teaspoons of agar agar powder in place of the gelatin. Everything else in the recipe will remain exactly the same!
How to Create a DIY Peel-Off Face Mask
To create this at-home, natural peel, you’ll need to:
- Boil or microwave the water and gelatin – Combine the gelatin and water in a small glass bowl and microwave for about 20 seconds, until dissolved.
- Mix in the matcha, clay, and lemon juice – Next, you’ll whisk in the matcha, clay, and lemon juice, until fully incorporated.
- Let cool slightly – You’ll want to let the mask cool for a few minutes before applying to your face to make sure you don’t burn yourself. If you let it sit too long, the mask will firm up, but you can always bring it back to liquid by microwaving for a few seconds.
Tips Before You Apply a DIY Peel Off Face Mask
Peel-off face masks are safe and really easy to use, but there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to application!
- Clean, Dry Skin – this goes for any mask! Be sure to wash and dry your face really well before applying a face mask.
- Don’t Apply to Sensitive Areas – be sure to keep the mask away from the most sensitive areas of your face (close to the eyes, eyebrows, hairline, or lips).
- Test the Mask Out First – though all of the ingredients in this mask are gentle and safe, it’s typically a good idea to do a test run before applying a new mask to your entire face. To do this, simply apply a small amount of the mask to your forearm, let it dry, and then peel it off. If you tolerated it well, you should be good to go!
How to Apply a Peel-Off Face Mask
If you’ve masked before, chances are you already know exactly what to do, but if you haven’t, read below to learn how to apply a homemade peel-off face mask!
- Wash and Dry Your Face – before applying your face mask, you’ll need to wash and dry your face just like you normally would.
- Apply the Face Mask – after your face is clean and dry, using a flat brush or your fingers, apply a THIN layer of the mask to your face. If it is too thick it’ll take longer to set and be harder to peel off.
- Wait – set a timer for 10-15 minutes and let the mask dry. You’ll know it’s ready when it begins to easily peel away!
- Peel and Wash – Now it’s time to peel! Gently peel the mask off your face, then wash with warm water and a washcloth to get any remaining bits off.
- Apply the Rest of Your Skincare Routine – once your mask is removed and your face is completely dry, apply the remainder of your normal skincare routine!
We hope you add this DIY face mask recipe to your next self-care day – it makes for such a fun activity and is so much less expensive than pricey spa treatments!
More on Safer Self-Care
- How to Dermaplane at Home
- Customizing a Safer Skincare Routine
- 5 Personal Care Ingredients to Avoid and Why
- Natural Armpit Care
- Guide to Non-Toxic Skincare
- Vitamin C for Your Skin
- Dazzle Dry Nail System Review
- Safer Nail Polish Guide
- Microwave the gelatin and water in a small bowl for 20 seconds, until dissolved, then mix in the lemon juice, matcha, and clay until fully combined.
- Wash and dry your face, then apply the mask in a thin layer using a flat brush or your fingertips. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, until it begins to easily peel off.
- Peel the mask off, then wash your face with warm water and a washcloth to remove any remaining bits and finish your skincare routine.