Loaded Cauliflower Soupjump to recipe
The temperatures have dropped and it's officially soup weather here in Texas, which can only mean one thing – Loaded Cauliflower Soup is now on the menu until it warms up again! This hearty soup is a creamy favorite of ours that just so happens to be low-carb AND keto-friendly to boot. Plus, it takes less than 30 minutes to whip up and have on the table, which makes it an easy go-to for us during chilly weather weeknights!
By now you know we have somewhat of a love affair with anything “loaded”. You can take a basic recipe and elevate it to gourmet by simply topping it with a few go-to “loaded” additions. For us this means ALL the bacon, ALL the cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions! If you need proof of our obsession with loaded meals, look no further than our Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup, Loaded Breakfast Fries, and my personal favorite, these Loaded Smashed Potatoes. Actually, now that I think about it, I might have a problem….shhhhh, don't tell!
Is it just me or has cauliflower become the hero vegetable of 2018? Cauliflower is the new black.Cauliflower can be anything. Need a pizza crust? Cauliflower can help. Need a low-carb gnocchi? Yep, cauli's got you. Rice? Check. Soup? Also check. I'm just waiting for the day where there's a cauliflower bread that tastes better than the real deal, and based on cauliflower's track record it's totally possible. So possible in fact, that it probably already exists!
Technically cauliflower is a part of the cruciferous veggie family (think cabbage and broccoli), and it packs a giant nutritional punch. It's “loaded” (hey I made a punny!) with antioxidants, phytonutrients, anti-inflammatory properties, and detox supporting compounds in addition to tasting just plain yummy. When steamed it creates a rich, thick, and oh-so-creamy concoction that really mimics the flavor and consistency of white potatoes, which makes it perfect to use as a sub when needed! It's also easily thinned with broth, cream, milk, butter and oil to get the exact right texture you're going for.
We up the taste level of our Loaded Cauliflower Soup by simmering our florets in chicken broth for extra flavor until they can be poked easily with a fork. THEN to get that smooth, creamy consistency in your soup we use our secret kitchen weapon – a Vitamix! I've spent a lot of time, and I mean A LOT of time, in the kitchen blending all of the things. Over the years I've used all sorts of gadgets to achieve creamy perfection and let me tell you, NOTHING has come close to giving me that impeccable texture like our Vitamix has. I get asked all the time if it makes a difference, and for me it absolutely does. I haven't made a lumpy or grainy soup, dip, smoothie, or sauce since I started using ours, and I don't think I could ever go back! Best part is that it comes with an incredible 10 year warranty that at this rate I don't think I'll ever need.
Ok, now that you know my secret to soup success #1, I'll let you in on the secret #2 that makes this soup so incredible – lemon juice! There's something about a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice that just really brightens up a dish, and pulls all of the flavors together, and I just can't get enough of it. Once the cauliflower is blended, you toss your lemon juice and sour cream in the mix, give it a little extra blend love, and BOOM, you're ready to load up! We go all out in our house with shredded cheese, salty bacon, and fresh, crisp green onions for a nice crunch. Tell me, are you Team Cauliflower Everything? If you've never tried this little cruciferous hero, we hope that our Loaded Cauliflower Soup is the perfect introduction to this power packed veggie!
Loaded Cauliflower Soup
This loaded cauliflower soup is a lighter, veggie-filled take on classic potato soup!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- 2 medium heads cauliflower
- 4 cups chicken broth*
- 1 cup sour cream (substitute full-fat coconut milk for dairy-free/Whole 30)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon, for garnish
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish (omit for dairy-free/Whole 30)
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Cut the cauliflower heads into florets, removing the tough inner core. Place the cauliflower florets and 3 cups of the broth in a large pot with matching lid over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then place the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low to cook for 15 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Remove the cauliflower from heat and add to a high powered blender, like a Vitamix, and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, sour cream, and lemon juice, then blend again on high for an additional 30 seconds until fully combined. Pour in additional broth to your desired consistency.
- Pour the soup into bowls and top each with bacon, cheese, and green onions. Enjoy!
*With 4 cups broth, this soup has a thicker, more mash-like texture as pictured. If you like a thinner soup, add 1-2 cups additional broth to your liking.