Paleo Hoisin Chicken Bowls
These Paleo Hoisin Chicken Bowls will really hit that Chinese food craving spot! The savory, creamy sauce is poured over chicken and then served with roasted Brussels sprouts. Make it your own with rice or another carbohydrate!
These Paleo hoisin chicken bowls are one of my weeknight go-to's! The hoisin sauce is absolutely delicious and really simple to make. To make these bowls, we're just going to toss shredded chicken in the sauce and serve it over some roasted Brussels sprouts. If you'd prefer a higher carb punch, feel free to serve the hoisin chicken over white rice or even a baked potato.
If you're following along on our Cook Once, Eat All Week series, this meal only requires that you make the sauce! The chicken and the Brussels are a simple reheat.
Cook Once, Eat All Week
If you're new here, THIS POST is a great introduction to our Cook Once, Eat All Week series!
Here are the other recipes in our COEAW: Week 2 meal prep series:
- Base Recipes of bulk-prepared shredded chicken, butternut squash, and roasted Brussels Sprouts: click HERE!
- Sonoma Chicken Stuffed Butternut Squash: click HERE
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup: click HERE
Remember that if you don't want to wait to get the recipes for the rest of this series here on the blog, you can also get them in an eBook FOR FREE by clicking HERE (subscribing to my newsletter). The eBook for each week also includes shopping lists, extra reheating tips, bonus recipes, and other meal ideas. Newsletter subscribers will get the full week of Cook Once, Eat All Week content the Friday BEFORE that content is slated to publish on the blog. It's a great way to get your ducks in a row early while also taking advantage of the other free goodies we send out to newsletter subscribers.
Hoisin Chicken Bowls
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
For the Brussels Sprouts:
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, ends removed and sliced in half
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of pepper
For the Hoisin Sauce:
- 1, 8 ounce jar coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3 tablespoons almond butter (may substitute peanut or sunbutter to preference)
For the Bowls:
- 1.5-2 pounds pre-prepared grilled or shredded chicken, warmed
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Toss brussels sprouts with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and pepper. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 30 minutes.
- While brussels sprouts are in the oven, add coconut aminos to a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until it thickens to coat the back of a spoon. Scrape the sauce into a separate bowl and add the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, ginger powder, and almond butter. Whisk until smooth.
- Mix the chicken with the hoisin sauce. To serve, spoon hoisin chicken on top of brussels sprouts and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
If following Cook Once, Eat All Week meal plan, use the following ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups pre-made shredded chicken thighs
- 2 cups pre-made roasted brussels sprouts.
- Add all the coconut aminos to a large skillet over medium heat. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it thickens to coat the back of a spoon. Scrape the sauce into a separate bowl and add the vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, ginger powder, and almond butter. Whisk until smooth.
- Warm the chicken either by microwaving 30 seconds to 1 minute with a damp paper towel placed over it, or in a skillet over medium heat with a teaspoon of oil for 3-4 minutes until warmed through. Mix chicken with the hoisin sauce.
- Reheat the Brussels sprouts either by microwaving for one minute or in a skillet over medium heat with one teaspoon of oil for 3-4 minutes until warmed through.
- Plate Brussels sprouts and spoon hoisin chicken on top. Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Serve!