Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
This Paleo salsa verde from the ‘Fed & Fit’ book is life changing. It’s tangy, savory, salty, bright, and refreshing. It’s a great way to use up an abundance of those Summer vegetables taking over the grocery produce aisle! Especially those sometimes mysterious tomatillos.
I first fell in love with salsa verde when I lived in Austin, TX. I moved there shortly after graduating from Texas A&M University and could be found frequenting a little Mexican restaurant off South Congress called Guero’s Taco Bar. Now, I’m not saying that Guero’s is a reason to visit Austin, TX, but to this 22 year-old fresh college grad, it was a haven for bright flavors and affordable meals. I was ESPECIALLY smitten by their salsa bar! You can scoop up as much as you like and I could not get enough of the salsa verde.
Salsa verde is typically made with tomatillos as a base (opposed to the tomatoes used for typical salsa), fresh onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, a little salt, and some fresh jalapenos. All you need to do is blend the fresh ingredients together and VOILA! Magical green sauce is born.
Note that this recipe makes three whole cups of salsa verde. While you can use it to make Enchilada Verde Meatballs, I also like it fresh with plantain chips. If you don’t think you’ll be able to enjoy the whole batch at once, know that you can easily freeze this magical condiment! Just pour it into an ice cube tray, let it freeze hard, and then transfer it to a large bag or container for long-term storage. Defrost in portions as you like!
- 1 pound tomatillos about 14, husked and quartered
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic smashed with the side of a knife
- 4 jalapeño peppers deseeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice about 4 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend for 2 minutes, or until it has an even consistency and there aren’t any chunks.
- Use immediately or transfer to a jar for storage in the refrigerator. It will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Made this last night. Easy and delish!