These Paleo-friendly Spider Snacks call for a grass-fed hot dog and simple kelp noodles! They come together in no time and will liven up your Halloween party with a fun, spooky, edible treat for kids and adults alike.
I don't know if it's because the weather is starting to turn or if it's because this spooky holiday marks the beginning of holiday season, but by golly …Halloween is MY FAVORITE. It's so much fun! Thinking back on my Halloween costumes, I'm reminded of HOW EASY my parents had it with me. I *wanted* to be the tinfoil-wrapped leftovers. I *preferred* the big, bulky, ironic Hershey's Kiss costume …and begged my mother to “add more stuffing, please?” As a college student, I thought that the enormous bumble bee getup (which made it impossible for anyone to get close to me) was the most hilarious, perfect outfit ever. While I admired my friend's French maid and nurse costume picks, I found myself gravitating towards the Great Pumpkin …an outfit that required it's own back seat and house party zip code. Bouncing around Halloween parties, giggling at all the pun-centered creativity, and keeping everyone at an arms+ distance was my idea of an excellent time. Nope, my parents didn't worry about me one bit.
Maybe Halloween is my favorite because it's the one holiday that boldly embodies my favorite literary device: the pun. Plus, there's candy. Plus-plus, I get to wear costumes with a 3-foot radius. Plus-plus-plus, we get to be infinitely creative with spooky-themed foods. IT'S AWESOME.
Today's Spider Snacks are brought to you by 2 (just 2!) simple ingredients: hot dogs (heard of them) and kelp noodles (never heard of them).
Before you click out because you don't think kelp noodles are sold anywhere near you, HANG TIGHT! I have tips and substitutions, if needed.
First, let's discuss the hot dog situation. If you're thinking, “but I thought hot dogs were not-idea mystery meat?” …you'd be somewhat correct. To this point I'd like to say, you choose what's best for you and your family. I buy hot dogs that are from grass-fed cows and processed with organic ingredients. YES, it's still a processed meat. I eat hot dogs about 4 times a year and am completely fine with THIS brand. If the idea of a true hot dog still has you concerned, feel free to substitute with any sausage you like!
Next, let's discuss this mystery ingredient: the kelp noodle. It's not quite as weird as it sounds. Kelp noodles are derived from seaweed! They're gluten-free and resemble angel hair pasta. The only difference is that they're crunchy. I can usually find them in the refrigerator section at my local Whole Foods (near the refrigerated sauerkraut) OR online (click HERE). They're packed in water and after a quick rinse, are ready to use. You can either drop them in steaming water to heat up or wrap them around the nearest hot dog and make yourself a Spider Snacks!
To make these Spider Snacks, I just wrap a handful of rinsed kelp noodles around a dog, place them on a baking sheet, and bake until the dog is cooked through and the noodles are crispy. Serve up with your favorite mustard or ketchup, embrace the crunchy spiderweb-wrapped dog, and have yourself a spooky Halloween ball!Print
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 8 servings
- 1 pound grass-fed beef hot dogs (like [url]these∞https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHTSK0O/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=feanfi-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00CHTSK0O&linkId=3b98e5b5ccd06d3d4aa69b5c742b6984[/url])
- 12 ounces kelp noodles, rinsed (like [url]these∞https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAWW24U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=feanfi-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00FAWW24U&linkId=910076a031efc590b81ee4bc38d9952e[/url])
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap a small handful (about 1/4 cup) of kelp noodles around each hot dog. Repeat for the rest of the batch.
- Place the prepared hot dogs on the baking sheet and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until the hot dogs are bubbly but the noodles have not burned.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature!