Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
This Squeaky Clean Chicken & Veggie Soup is the perfect comfort food that is also healthy for you! It is loaded with vegetables, packs a flavorful punch, and will feed a crowd.
It just so happens that I woke up this morning sounding like Kermit the Frog, so this soup is EXACTLY what I want right now! It’s flavorful, healthy, and so comforting. I’m still in that denial phase of a cold …telling myself that “it’s just allergies.” Hopefully these “allergies” pass soon! I have a video shoot scheduled for later today with my dear friend Graysen (the lovely videographer who filmed our wedding!). I’m finally making good on my promise to bring you hair, makeup, and skincare routine videos! I hope you enjoy them and I also hope that you don’t mind my Kermit-ness.
Okay, back to this soup…
If I’m ever feeling a little under the weather or like I want a healthy meal reset after a particularly indulgent weekend, THIS soup is one of my go-to’s. In fact, I like to always have a huge bowl of it (or several individual-portioned servings) in my freezer for just those instances. The soup was originally inspired by one of the highest-rated recipes in my book, the Lemony Kale & Sausage Soup (p. 163). This soup has the same broth + fresh lemon juice foundation, but we’re relying on freshly shredded chicken for protein and a whole slew of other vegetables for bonus nutrition.
Make this soup your own and use what you have on hand! If you have parsnips, use parsnips? Want some starch in there? Add potatoes or even a scoop of white rice! If you’ve got some greens you’re looking to clean out of your fridge, feel free to swap those in instead of the kale. Just remember that the BEST time to add greens is towards the very end of the cooking process. This way, they’ll maintain their bright green color.
Note that this recipe is particularly lemony (vitamin C boost!). If you don’t like that much lemon, feel free to reduce or omit altogether.
For a step-by-step overview, watch the video below!
I hope you love this soup and that it brings some healing love to your dinner table!
- 3 tablespoons butter sub coconut oil or EVOO for Whole 30
- 1 small to medium-sized onion diced
- 4-5 stalks celery sliced
- 5 carrots sliced into coins
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 red bell peppers deseeded and diced
- 5-6 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 cups chicken broth 2 quarts
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 head curly kale roughly chopped
- 2 lemons juiced
- Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted, add the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and bell pepper to the pan. Saute for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables start to brown a bit around the edges.
- Add the chicken, broth, salt, and pepper to the pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Pull the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks or with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Add the chicken back to the pot then stir in the kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes until kale is fully wilted.
- Add the lemon juice and then taste soup for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper if needed. Spoon into individual bowls and serve!