Veggie-Loaded Shepherd’s Pie
This Veggie-Loaded Shepherd's Pie is a win for everyone! It's delicious, easy, nutritious, and packs a healthy veggie punch. Make it your own with the veggies and ingredients you have on hand!
Shepherd's Pie may be one of my most favorite meals EVER. It's just so darn comforting, so easy to make, and makes the best leftovers. This particular Shepherd's Pie is a nutrition-lover's dream because we're sneaking in even more veggies (read: kale). Between the perfectly seasoned ground beef and mashed potato topping, the veggies go by unnoticed as the family will just gobble this dish UP.
If you're following along on our Cook Once, Eat All Week series, making this Shepherd's Pie is truly just a matter of assembly. Assemble, bake, and then enjoy! While you can use frozen veggies to mix in with the ground beef, I also encourage you to use this as an opportunity to use up whatever veggies are hanging out in that forgotten veggie drawer. Chop or grate them right into the meat mixture.
If you're looking to freeze meals, this recipe is a GREAT option! Just spoon it into your favorite freezer containers, label, and pull from frozen as you need them.
Cook Once, Eat All Week
If you're new here, THIS POST is a great introduction to our Cook Once, Eat All Week series!
Here are the other recipes in our COEAW: Week 1 meal prep series:
- Base Recipes of bulk-prepared ground beef, baked potatoes, and sautéed kale: click HERE!
- BBQ Bacon Burger Loaded Potato recipe: click HERE
- Taco Breakfast Hash recipe: click HERE
Remember that if you don't want to wait to get the recipes for the rest of this series here on the blog, you can also get them in an eBook FOR FREE by clicking HERE (subscribing to my newsletter). The eBook for each week also includes shopping lists, extra reheating tips, bonus recipes, and other meal ideas. Newsletter subscribers will get the full week of Cook Once, Eat All Week content the Friday BEFORE that content is slated to publish on the blog. It's a great way to get your ducks in a row early while also taking advantage of the other free goodies we send out to newsletter subscribers.
Veggie-Loaded Shepherd's Pie
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4-6
For the Ground Beef Mixture:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large head lacinato kale, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 2.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 16 ounces peas and carrots
For the Mashed Potato Topping:
- 3 medium white potatoes (about 1.5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canned, full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cover the potatoes in water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until they're easily pierced with a fork. Once soft, drain and let cool slightly.
- Melt the butter in a large enameled cast-iron pot or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the kale and stir in the butter, then cover and let steam for 3-4 minutes until wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the ground beef to the pan along with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and cook over medium heat, stirring regularly to break up the meat, until all of the moisture has evaporated and some pieces are starting to develop a deeper brown color. Add the tomato paste, broth, peas and carrots, and kale to the ground beef mixture. Stir to combine then set aside.
- Remove the peels from the cooled potatoes and add to a medium sized pot along with the butter, coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Using either a potato masher or a hand mixer, mix the potatoes until soft and fluffy.
- If working in a frying pan, transfer the meat mixture to a deep 8 by 8-inch or similar-sized baking dish. Spread the potato mash over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let cool for 10 minutes, garnish with Parsley if desired, then serve!
If following the Cook Once, Eat All Week Meal Plan:
Use the following pre-cooked ingredients:
- 5 cups pre-cooked ground beef
- 2 cups of pre-cooked kale
- 3 pre-cooked potatoes, skins removed
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients for the filling and place in an 8” x 8” casserole dish.
- Remove skins from potatoes and place in microwave-safe bowl to reheat for 90 seconds – 2 minutes, until warmed through. Or, place in medium-sized pot and warm over medium heat for three minutes.
- Mash the potatoes, then add coconut milk, butter, salt, and pepper to the warmed potatoes. Stir to combine, then spoon on top of ground beef mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let cool 5-10 minutes, and serve!