Cherry Dump Cakejump to recipe
This cherry dump cake is the easiest dessert you'll ever make! Grab a few bags of frozen cherries, then top them off with cake mix and butter and you've got a delicious, crave-able dessert with minimal effort.
Last month we published our pumpkin dump cake and it has been so popular that we wanted to bring you another seasonally-appropriate spin on it. This cherry dump cake is the perfect thing to bring to your holiday gatherings – especially when you're short on time. It has a sweet cherry filling and a crisp, rich, buttery cake topping.
Why is it called a dump cake?
You may be wondering why this is called a dump cake. Whereas most cake recipes involve mixing a bunch of ingredients together to form a batter, for this cake you simply dump all of the ingredients into the pan, then bake. We love this minimal approach!
How to Make Cherry Dump Cake
You'll only need 3 ingredients and 3 simple steps to make this cherry dump cake!
- Add 3 pounds of frozen cherries to the bottom of a 4-quart baking dish. Many recipes opt for cherry pie filling, but we found that between the sweetness of the cherries and the cake mix, using just plain frozen cherries works fine! In the summer months, you can also make this with fresh cherries, but using frozen saves you the step of pitting them.
- Top with cake mix and butter. Next, you'll pour a box of yellow cake mix over top of the cherries. You can use whichever mix you like, but we like this one for gluten-free. If you want a chocolate-covered cherry version, you can make this with chocolate cake mix, too! Once you've poured the cake mix over top, top evenly with butter slices.
- Bake. Finally, you'll bake everything for about 1 hour 10 minutes if using frozen cherries, and one hour for fresh. When it's done, the topping should be browned and crisp.
While you can serve this either hot or cold, we recommend serving it hot – preferably with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
How long does cherry dump cake keep?
Cherry dump cake keeps for about 5 days. We recommend covering it and storing it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh for longer.Print
Cherry Dump Cake
This cherry dump cake is the easiest dessert you'll ever make, and doesn't sacrifice flavor!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 3 pounds frozen cherries
- 1 box dry yellow cake mix (we used King Arthur gluten free yellow cake mix)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the cherries in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle yellow cake mix over top of the cherries.
- Slice the butter and place on top of the cake mix, distributing evenly.
- Bake at 350 F for one hour and ten minutes*, until the top is golden brown and the peaches are cooked down.
- Serve warm with ice cream!
- If using fresh cherries instead of frozen, you'll only need to bake for a total of one hour.
Keywords: Fresh cherry, gluten free, vegetarian, dessert, thanksgiving