If you’re looking for a safe homemade floor cleaner that’s easy to use, easy to make, and easy on the budget, this Branch Basics-based mopping solution has got you covered.
Floor Cleaner Recipe
This homemade floor cleaner is the best of all of the worlds: safe, effective, affordable, and long-lasting. Plus, it’s so easy to make — you’ll just measure, mix, and mop!
What makes this recipe the best mopping solution?
We love that this mopping solution is made with 3 really simple ingredients (including water), and is super affordable (a tablespoon at a time goes a long way!) and really effective.
Oftentimes, non-toxic products are either on the (really) pricey side or just flat out don’t work, and sometimes, the products that are the priciest are the ones that are the least effective (so frustrating!). This mopping solution, and the use of Branch Basics Concentrate in general, really is the best of the best.
Homemade Mop Solution Ingredients
3 simple ingredients stand between you and super clean floors — here’s what you’ll need:
- Branch Basics Concentrate – to start, you’ll need some Branch Basics Concentrate! If you’re planning on mopping wood floors, you’ll need 1 tablespoon, but for everything else, you’ll need 2 tablespoons.
- Water – in addition to the Branch Basics Concentrate, you’ll also need about a gallon of water. Both distilled and tap water work fine here, so don’t worry too much about which you use!
- Essential Oils – this step is totally optional, but we really love the smell that an essential oil gives the mopping solution. We chose to use orange essential oil here, but pine is also a great option. Either way, you’ll need about 20 drops!
How do you make a DIY Mop Solution?
This part is super easy! You’ll just mix a tablespoon of Branch Basics Concentrate, a gallon of water, and 20 drops of either orange or pine essential oil in a bucket or in a plugged sink. To use, dip your mop in, ring out any excess water, and mop as normal.
If you’d like to make a bigger batch of the solution (this is what we did!), simply combine the Branch Basics Concentrate + essential oil (20 drops per tablespoon of concentrate) in a mason jar, then measure out a tablespoon (or 2 tablespoons) of the solution and mix with water when you’re ready to mop. We combined 4 tablespoons of Concentrate (¼ cup) and 80 drops of orange essential oil in a jar, but feel free to make a larger batch if you’d like!
What should I mop my floors with?
We may be partial, but we think you should mop your floors with this mopping solution! It’s safe, effective, and really affordable.
Can you mop with dish soap?
You definitely can mix a small amount of dish soap with water to create a mopping solution. Branch Basics Concentrate actually wears many hats, and one of them is dish soap!
Can you mop with just water?
While it may *look* like your messes are cleaned up with a water-only mopping solution, the likelihood of your floors actually being clean are pretty slim. You’ll want some sort of cleaner to take care of the germs and muck.
Can you mop with bleach?
You can, but we don’t recommend it. Bleach is a mix of pretty harsh chemicals, making it less than ideal to mop your floors with.
What natural substances make the best floor cleaning solution?
Our opinion: Branch Basics Concentrate. This stuff is incredibly powerful, y’all, and because it’s non-toxic, I feel really good about using it on my floors (and, really, all over my home).
Do you need to rinse homemade floor cleaners?
We can’t speak for all homemade floor cleaners, but this one does not require any rinsing! You’ll mop as normal, let it dry, and then move on with your day. No extra rinsing step necessary!
How do you mop for streak free clean floors?
The amount of Branch Basics Concentrate in this solution is large enough to be really effective but small enough to leave the floors streak free, so you don’t need to do anything special!
How do you store homemade mop solution?
We store ours in a mason jar (any airtight jar will do, though) at room temperature. Then, when it’s time to mop, we measure out a tablespoon or two of the solution, add a gallon of water, and get to it!
How long will homemade mop solution last?
The Concentrate itself is good for up to 2 years (before being mixed with water), so don’t be worried about it going bad before you can use it — you’ve got plenty of time!
More Safer Home Cleaner Articles
- Homemade All Purpose Cleaner
- Best Homemade Glass Cleaner
- Homemade Bathroom Cleaner
- Homemade Natural Dog Shampoo
If you’re looking for a simple, effective, budget-friendly solution for cleaning up more of your home cleaning products, check out the Branch Basics Starter Kit + use code FEDANDFIT for 15% off your order!
Homemade Mopping Solution
For Wood Floors:
- 1 tablespoon Branch Basics Concentrate
- 20 drops orange essential oil
- 1 gallon of water
For All Other Floors:
- 2 tablespoons Branch Basics Concentrate
- 20 drops orange essential oil
- 1 gallon of water
- Combine the ingredients in a bucket or plugged sink.
- Dip your mop in the solution, ring out any excess solution, and mop as normal.