Grits and Chorizo Breakfast Skilletjump to recipe
This grits and chorizo breakfast skillet is the ultimate way to start your day! Cheesy grits are topped with crispy chorizo, perfectly cooked eggs, and a dreamy avocado cilantro crema.
As fun as it is to go out to brunch, there's something so special about making a late breakfast for my family on the weekends. After a busy week full of work, errands, and rushed dinners, I feel like I can finally slow down the clock, sip my coffee, and cook at my leisure so we can all sit down and share a delicious meal. It sets the perfect tone for the rest of the day!
This grits and chorizo breakfast skillet is truly the brunch meal of my dreams. While I love sweets as much as the next person, when it comes to breakfast I'm ALL about the savory food, and this meal hits all the right notes. I mean, does it get any better than cheesy, creamy grits, spicy chorizo, eggs cooked just enough that you still get a perfectly runny yolk, and a delicious avocado cilantro sauce to finish it all off? I'm going to say no.
To make this grits and chorizo breakfast skillet, you'll start by cooking the grits. While the grits are going, you'll cook up a pound of chorizo until it is perfectly browned and crisp. Then, you'll spoon the grits into a cast iron skillet, make 6 wells in the grits, and crack the eggs in. After that, you just need to spoon over the chorizo, bake the whole thing for 25 minutes, and blend up the sauce!Print
Grits and Chorizo Breakfast Skillet
Upgrade your brunch with one of the most crowd pleasing bakes we've ever made!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 00:50
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
For the grits:
- 1 cup grits
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Bake:
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
- 1 small avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about ½ lime)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth and the salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, then whisk in the grits and let it come back to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, then whisk the grits again, making sure to scrape everything up from the bottom of the pan. Place the lid back on the pan and cook for 15 minutes more, then stir in the butter, pepper, and cheese, then taste and add add up to ½ teaspoon more salt, if desired.
- While the grits are cooking, add the chorizo to a skillet over medium heat and cook for 7-10 minutes, until crisp, then drain the chorizo of excess grease and set aside.
- Spread the grits into a 10-inch cast iron or 2.5 quart casserole dish, then make 4 wells in the grits. Crack the eggs into the wells and season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle the chorizo over top of the grits and eggs. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the eggs are set.
- While the grits and eggs bake, blend the avocado, cilantro, salt, lime juice, and water until smooth.
- Pour the avocado cilantro sauce over the grit and egg bake and serve!
**To make the recipe dairy-free substitute ghee for butter.