Paleo Mango Lassi Smoothie Bowljump to recipe
These incredibly delicious, and Vegan-friendly, Paleo Mango Lassi Smoothie Bowl is a breeze to whip up!
I am inappropriately excited about this recipe. You see, I've been a closet mango lassi lover for the last 3 years and finally …finally, I can share this love with you. The love affair started one Summer when my now-husband (then-boyfriend) casually mentioned that he commissioned a local farmer to peel, slice, and freeze 20 pounds of mango for our humble home. TWENTY POUNDS. He also commissioned a (slightly more reasonable) 7 pounds of blueberries. Our humble garage freezer was packed to the brim with orange and blue fruit.
I felt like I was on a Food Network cooking challenge show, where the secret ingredient is, “frozen mango, now GO!” I experimented with a wide variety of mango recipes and finally, finally landed on the most delicious lassi.
A mango lassi, for those of you who don't know, is an Indian-inspired mango drink. It's usually made with yogurt, mango, sugar, and some kind of spice (usually cardamom or cumin). The variety that Austin, my husband, and I loved the most was a Paleo (even Vegan)-friendly version involving frozen mango, a touch of fresh OJ, a few tablespoons of creamy full-fat coconut milk, and pinch or two of ground cardamon. We happily gulped down our morning frozen Paleo mango lassi for 5 months and, though I never thought I'd say it, I miss our monstrous supply of mango.
While brainstorming a fruit-centered recipe for the blog, a memory of our Summer of Paleo Mango Lassi's blinked into life. OF COURSE! A mango lassi-based smoothie bowl is just the ticket. For this recipe, I added a little fresh mango, toasted coconut, and extra sprinkle of the ground cardamon to the top.
These would make great make-ahead fruit bowls for the freezer, too! Just prep, spoon into small mason jars, and set in the refrigerator to thaw the night before.
More Smoothie Recipes
- Green Tropical Smoothie
Mango Lassi Smoothie Bowls
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1
- 3/4 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cold water, more if needed for smoother consistency
- 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk cream (the thick part at the top of the can)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup fresh mango, cut into tiny pieces
- Chia seeds, for garnish
- Coconut chips, for garnish
- Blend the frozen mango, orange juice, water, coconut cream, and half of the cardamom until smooth. Add additional water, if desired, for a smoother consistency.
- While the smoothie blends, place the shredded coconut on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Let cool completely before using for garnish.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl. Garnish with the fresh mango, the coconut, and the leftover ground cardamom.