Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
This Slow Cooker Cranberry Pork Shoulder is a great, healthy way to use up that leftover cranberry sauce while putting a brand new meal together for your friends and family!
Okay, I’ll admit it. This is NOT the prettiest dish I’ve ever posted …but I promise the flavors are on point. When it comes to holiday recipes, I like to divide my efforts up into about 60% healthier dishes that help us replace the old favorites (like green bean casserole, stuffing, and even a gingerbread house) and 40% dishes that help us make use of leftovers. I don’t think I’m alone here, but we ALWAYS have so many leftovers after the holiday! While I do enjoy a rerun plate of Christmas dinner, I also enjoy getting a little creative with the tasty leftover bounty. Using fresh leftovers as a way to help make an entirely new meal is such a fun challenge!
That brings me to today’s post! This Slow Cooker Cranberry Pork Shoulder is carefully designed to help you do the following:
- Use up that leftover cranberry sauce.
- Make an entirely NEW meal (which can be important if your family does NOT like leftovers).
- Spend minimal time in the kitchen (thank you, slow cooker!).
The recipe is simple, but the flavors are BIG. Even if you’re not a huge fan of cranberry sauce, I think you’ll enjoy the final product. The method involves us simply browning a pork shoulder and then placing it in the slow cooker. From there, we cover it in our leftover cranberry sauce, put the lid on, and let it sit for about 4 hours! Once it’s finished cooking, the cranberry sauce will have lost its vibrant red-color, but you’ll be left with tender, flavorful pork just begging to be gobbled up on a bed of (leftover) mashed potatoes.
Note that you can absolutely make this dish from scratch, too! Depending on the size of the pork shoulder, you can feed a crowd with very minimal effort.
I hope you enjoy!
- 1, 3 to 4 pound bone-in pork shoulder
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter ghee, or avocado oil
- 1 to 2 cups cranberry sauce
- fresh cranberries for garnish (optional)
- fresh Italian parsley for garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle the salt over both sides of the pork shoulder. Melt the butter in either your oven-safe slow cooker insert or a large frying pan. Add the meat and sear on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until a light brown sear develops. Flip the meat over and sear for an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to the slow cooker and cover with the cranberry sauce. Cook on high for 4 hours, or until the meat easily falls apart with a fork. Shred the pork with two forks and garnish with the fresh cranberries and parsley, if desired.
- Serve on a bed of mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower and enjoy!
- Add oil to instant pot bowl and select sauce button to heat.
- Add the seasoned pork roast and sear on all sides, approximately 4 minutes per side.
- When roast has been seared on all sides, press Cancel and pour cranberry sauce over pork.
- Cover pot, lock on the lid, and set the steam release valve to Sealing
- Select the Meat/Stew or Pressure Cook button and set the cook time to 60 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle has finished, allow the pot to sit for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release by moving the valve to Venting.
- Serve as stated above.