Ginger Orange Caramelized Carrots
With a quick mixture of a few fresh, healthy ingredients, we're transforming carrots into the praise-worthy side dish known as Ginger Orange Caramelized Carrots.
Oh boy am I ever excited to share this recipe with you! I've been dreaming of a no-sugar-added flavorful roasted caramelized carrot for a LONG, long time. My dreams of a no-sugar-added flavorful roasted caramelized carrot (my working title for this blog post …of which I had to edit down for obvious reasons) finally collided with my recipe development list while I was standing in a daze in front of the fresh produce section at my grocery store. I am THAT girl. I'm the girl who stands there for way too long, draws a few looks, and who will rearrange the veggies a bit while I take the ones I deem the freshest. Not my best quality, but there we have it.
On one of my staring-dazedly-at-the-produce adventures, I came across the most intriguing purple carrots. The were BEAUTIFUL and weird. Kind of like a Lemony Snicket novel. My mental librarian scooted her ladder over to the back corner of my memory chronicles and dusted off the folder titled “carrots.” She exclaimed, “AH YES! No-sugar-added flavorful roasted caramelized carrots! It's time I make those …and I must make them with these weird and beautiful carrots.”
So, that's how these slightly sweet, slightly savory, roasted carrots came to be! They most definitely do not disappoint.
While you can absolutely make them with your standard orange carrot, I encourage you to use this recipe as an excuse to indulge in those wonderful and bizarre colored carrots. Grab a bunch of each and see which you like best! As with all of nature's fascinating bounty, a difference in color means a difference in micronutrients. The more varied our plates in vegetables, the more well-rounded our vitamin + mineral intake. <- the Nutrition Consultant in me asked to add that in.
As for the orange juice, use whichever OJ you've got handy. I personally squeezed one blood orange for the job and it tasted fabulous. Also, don't be intimidated by the fish sauce. It adds something magnificent to these special roots. I promise you'll enjoy the finished product.
If you're more PRO-sugar-added, a tablespoon of honey could be a nice addition here! Heck, while we're dreaming up modifications, a teaspoon (or two) of sriracha would make a nice spicy boost. Make them your own, my friend!
Ginger Orange Caramelized Carrots15 minutes 45 minutes 1:00
- 2 1/2 pounds carrots of various colors, trimmed and peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds, for garnish
- Lay the carrots out onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, coconut aminos, olive oil, ginger, garlic, fish cause, and sea salt. Spoon half of the mixture over the carrots, tossing to coat evenly, and then place in the oven at 375 F for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, spoon the rest of the marinade over the carrots and return to the oven for 10 more minutes, or until the carrots start to look slightly golden on top.
- Let cool slightly then garnish with the cilantro and sesame seeds. Enjoy!