Cook Once, Eat All Week: Week 3 Base Recipes
We're kicking off Week 3 of our Cook Once, Eat All Week series with this week's base recipes! We're making use of pulled pork, plantains, and red bell peppers. Get your components prepped so that you can quickly whip up the recipes coming later this week!
Cook Once, Eat All Week
If you're new here, THIS POST is a great introduction to our Cook Once, Eat All Week series! This is an entirely FREE, Paleo-friendly meal-prep series. Each Monday, I'm sharing 3 basic meal components that involve very minimal prep (bake the squash in bulk, cook/shred the chicken, roast the veggies). Then, on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I'll be sharing a different meal recipe that makes good use of these already prepped components. Each week will result in a grand total of 10 to 15 servings, to give you a rough idea of how much food to expect if you follow our plan to the letter.
Here this week's schedule:
- Monday: Pulled Pork, Plantains, and Red Bell Pepper Recipes
- Tuesday: Cuban Pork Casserole Recipe
- Wednesday: BBQ Pork Plantain Pizza Recipe
- Thursday: Carnitas Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Friday: next week's “Cook Once, Eat All Week” eBook is sent out in advance to my newsletter subscribers!
Note: If you want to get your hands on the complete eBook for this week (which includes shopping lists, a timed meal prep guide, and bonus recipe ideas) click HERE.
This week's base recipes are simple and probably a nice shift from what you've been eating. First, we're just going to make our shredded pork! Shredded pork is extremely easy to whip up and we're giving you THREE different ways to do it here. Once it's cooked, give it a quick shred via your favorite method.
For the peppers, we're going to divide them up. We're going to chop and roast some and the others, we're going to set aside for our stuffed bell peppers later in the week.
We're also dividing up our plantains! Some will get chopped and roasted while the others will remain whole (for the pizza crust).
Once everything is cooked, store it away for the recipes coming later this week!
Remember that if you don't want to wait to get the recipes for the rest of this series here on the blog, you can also get them in an eBook FOR FREE by clicking HERE (subscribing to my newsletter). The eBook for each week also includes shopping lists, extra reheating tips, bonus recipes, and other meal ideas. Newsletter subscribers will get the full week of Cook Once, Eat All Week content the Friday BEFORE that content is slated to publish on the blog. It's a great way to get your ducks in a row early while also taking advantage of the other free goodies we send out to newsletter subscribers.
Week 3 Basics: Shredded Pork, Plantains, and Red Bell Peppers
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 10-15
For the Shredded Pork:
- 1, 5-6 pound pork shoulder
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt
For the Plantains:
- 9 green plantains
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the Bell Peppers:
- 8 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Make the Shredded Pork:
- Slow Cooker Method:
- Season pork shoulder with about 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt. Place in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, until pork easily shreds apart. Shred with two forks, removing excess fat. Store in an air-tight container.
- Instant Pot Method:
- Cut pork shoulder into 4-5 pieces and season with 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt.
- Set Instant Pot to “sauté” mode and melt 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil. Sear the pork on each side for 2-3 minutes, working in batches.
- Once seared, add all pork back to pot, along with 1/2 cup of water. Put the lid on the Instant Pot, checking to make sure that the pressure valve is sealed, press the “manual” button, and then program it to cook for 90 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, you can manually release the pressure by slowly turning the pressure valve from sealed to “venting.” Remove pork from the pot and shred with two forks, removing excess fat.
- Slow Cooker Method:
- Prep the Bell Peppers
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cut 4 bell peppers into 1/2 inch squares and set the other 4 aside for later use.
- Toss cut peppers with one tablespoon olive oil. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 30-40 minutes, until skins are slightly blackened and wrinkled.
- Prep the Plantains
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut 6 plantains into 1/2 inch cubes, and set the other 3 aside for later use.
- Toss cubed plantains with one tablespoon olive oil and one teaspoon sea salt. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 25-30 minutes, until cubes are slightly browned.