BBQ Pork Plantain Pizza
This BBQ Pork Plantain Pizza makes my world go round! The base is a simple mixture of fresh plantains and a few other strategic (non-flour) ingredients. Spread with your favorite BBQ sauce, top with pulled pork, and bake until it's perfect. I have a feeling you will love this pizza!
I have to be honest with you about this pizza. I made it, packaged it up for the freezer, and stored it away in our deep freeze full of “for when the baby comes” meals. I made it exactly 2 weeks before I'd already defrosted and enjoyed all the BBQ Pork Plantain Pizza freezer meals. OOPS!
This pizza hits the freaking spot. We were pretty proud of our pizza base here, too, because it's *such* a simple blend of plantains plus a few strategic ingredients. Simply blend and then spread it out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Give it a quick bake (until it sets) and then top with your favorite toppings! I wanted a BBQ pork spin on a pizza, so first I spread a nice lather of my homemade BBQ sauce overtop (you can easily sub store bought if you'd like). From there, I opted for pulled pork! If you're following along on our Cook Once, Eat All Week series, simply dig into that pulled pork you already have prepared! The rest of the toppings are your call. I added purple onion and jalapeños. Pop that beauty back in the oven until it's all bubbly and delicious looking. I finished my pizza off with a nice drizzle of ranch dressing and then we were off to the races!
Note: this BBQ Pork Plantain Pizza made enough for 2 servings for me, so I recommend doubling if you're cooking for more folks. For freezing/defrost tips, be sure to grab the eBook for this week! Links are below.
Cook Once, Eat All Week
If you're new here, THIS POST is a great introduction to our Cook Once, Eat All Week series!
Here are the other recipes in our COEAW: Week 3 meal prep series:
- Base Recipes of bulk-prepared pulled pork, plantains, and red bell peppers: click HERE!
- Cuban Pork Casserole Recipe: click HERE!
- Coming Soon: Carnitas-Stuffed Peppers
Remember that if you don't want to wait to get the recipes for the rest of this series here on the blog, you can also get them in an eBook FOR FREE by clicking HERE (subscribing to my newsletter). The eBook for each week also includes shopping lists, extra reheating tips, bonus recipes, and other meal ideas. Newsletter subscribers will get the full week of Cook Once, Eat All Week content the Friday BEFORE that content is slated to publish on the blog. It's a great way to get your ducks in a row early while also taking advantage of the other free goodies we send out to newsletter subscribers.
BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
For the Shredded Pork:
- 1, 3 pound pork shoulder
- 1/2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
For the Crust:
- 3 plantains (green or slightly ripe)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
For the Pizza:
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup pre-cooked shredded pork
- 1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing, if desired
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
For the Semi-Homemade Ranch:
- 3/4 cup avocado oil mayo
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about one lemon)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried dill
- Season pork shoulder with 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt. Place in the slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours on low, or about 4-6 hours on high, until pork easily shreds apart. See HERE for Instant Pot method.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the plantains, coconut oil, and salt until smooth.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat, and spread the plantain mixture into a large circle, making the thickness as even as possible.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crust is browned and no longer sticky.
- Remove crust from oven and top with BBQ sauce, shredded pork, sliced jalapeno, and red onion. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all ingredients for the ranch dressing.
- Let cool, garnish with ranch and cilantro, then slice and serve!