And then there were the greens. My mom always said that you must have something green for dinner – and no, the crazy green ketchup did not count. Greens complete the picture. They balance the plate by providing great colors and nutrients. I have quite a few healthy greens recipes up my sleeves – this roasted citrus chard is one of my favorites. It is savory, tangy, and will keep you coming back for more.
It only cooks for 3 minutes (no, that was not a typo – 3 minutes); so keep an eye on it! Set a timer or have someone watch the clock for you.
Now, how to put the whole dinner together:
The whole dinner, including the paleo sundried tomato pecan chicken, roasted balsamic beets, and roasted citrus chard, takes approximately 1 hr and 15 minutes total cooking and prepping time.
To time everything perfectly, start on the beets first. Wash and scrub the beets then put them in the oven at 400 degrees.
Now, go enjoy yourself. Have a glass of wine, sit down, and talk to your guests.
At the 30-minute mark, start preparing the chicken. When the chicken breasts are breaded and on a baking sheet, put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes. While the chicken is in the oven, start washing and de-stemming the swiss chard.
Revisit your glass of wine, chair, or guests until the chicken is finished.
At the hour mark, take the beets out of the oven and open the pouch allowing them to cool. When the beets are cooled, start peeling and put the simple balsamic dressing together.
When the chicken breasts are done (juices running clear), take them out and keep the oven on.
When you’re ready, put the swiss chard in the oven for 3 minutes. When the chard is finished, dress, plate, and serve the whole meal.
Your guests will be most impressed J
Roasted Citrus Swiss Chard
- 1 head of swiss chard can use any color you like
- juice of 1 large lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Rinse the swiss chard leaves and cut the stems out leaving just the leafy portion.
- Line the baking sheet with the leaves then drizzle with olive oil and cracked pepper.
- Bake for 3 minutes and then promptly remove.
- Toss with the lemon juice then top with the lemon zest. Serve and enjoy!