Twice baked loaded sweet potatoes are comfort food at its best, y’all! Shredded chicken is mixed with perfectly seasoned mashed sweet potato which all comes together in twice-baked heaven.
Now onto recipe #2 of our “Quick and Healthy Weeknight Dinner” series!
One bite in, my family vowed their love of this straightforward meal. Then when everyone cleaned their plates, they made me promise to make it again …and soon.
I can’t stress how easy these twice baked loaded sweet potatoes are and how much you’re going to feel like a #dinnertimehero. Here are a couple ways to prep ahead of time so that mixing and a final baking are the only tasks left on the night dine:
- Make a batch of some Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken so it’s ready to go.
- Pre-bake your sweet potatoes! They’ll need to come to room temperature for you to handle them anyways, so might as well knock that out in advance! I will bake mine, let cool, and then wrap up and place in the fridge until I’m ready to use them.
Make sure you take careful note of my instructions below about not scooping out too much of the sweet potato. It’s important that you leave a pretty generous layer of flesh on the skin so that it holds its shape.
I like to top mine with a generous dollop of chilled coconut cream (the thick part that floats to the top of an un-shaken can) and then serve next to a big leafy salad.
Twice Baked Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 4 tablespoons butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- full-fat coconut cream
- Wash the sweet potatoes and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for one hour. Let the sweet potatoes cool completely before moving onto the next step. *Tip: you can do this step days ahead and save yourself time.
- Cut the top 1/4th of the sweet potato off, creating an opening. Using a spoon, spoon out the majority of the cooked sweet potato but be careful to leave a thick parameter near the skin, so that the hallowed-out potato still retains its shape.
- Add the butter, cinnamon, salt, and pepper to the mashed sweet potatoes and combine evenly. Lastly, add the shredded chicken and combine evenly.
- Spoon an equal amount of the seasoned sweet potato and chicken mixture back into each of the hallowed-out shells. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- To plate, garnish with a dollop of chilled full-fat coconut cream.