Crockpot Hawaiian Pizza

Once upon a time, my oven quit working. It stopped working, in fact, for about three whole weeks. For most people, this is terrible news. For a food blogger who’s highly motivated to perfect her Paleo-friendly baked donut recipe, this is the worst news.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Right?

Well, when my craving for Hawaiian Pizza became a necessity, I got creative.

Crockpot pizza was born! Sure there’s no crust on this pizza. Sure you serve it in a bowl and eat it with a spoon. Sure it’s a little weird. But HEY, it’s delicious, low-maintenance, and totally healthy/Paleo-friendly. Winner!

DSC_1606

There are a couple costars on the show today.

DSC_1495

First, let’s talk pineapple. Pineapple is a tart, sweet fruit rich in Vitamin C {a powerful antioxidant}. It’s known for its ability to aid in digestion, reduce inflammation, and even offer relief from bronchial mucus. In other words, got a mucus-ey cold? Eat some pineapple!

The next costar is my dear friend, Canadian Bacon. At first glance, you may think Canadian Bacon is just another word for ham. Although it does too come from the pig, it’s a different cut. Canadian Bacon is cut from the more lean pork loin whereas the bacon we’re all most familiar with is cut from the side/belly.

DSC_1581

Whether you’re a mom on the go, a college student with no time to cook, or a person who loves Hawaiian Pizza … this recipe is for you.

Enjoy!

Before I go over the 4 ingredients required to flawlessly execute this dish, I must tell you about what Gus does when nobody else is around.

DSC_1409

…he talks to me.

I don’t just mean that I narrate his thoughts with witty musings and bad jokes {okay, I do that too}. I mean he TALKS to me. Especially when I’m cooking. He pokes his head around the corner, looks me in the eyes, and grumbles. It’s not a whine. It’s not a bark. It’s an unintelligible grumble. He only does this to me! When I’m alone! Everyone thinks I’m crazy. Trying to catch him on video is impossible. As soon as he hears the “bing” of a recorder, he shuts up and acts like a dog again. He’s my own little furry version of the Singing Frog. I only managed to catch him mid-grumble in this pic. I swear I’m not crazy.

DSC_0067

Okay, pizza time! If you can’t find Canadian Bacon, ham will work just fine. Cut a pound of bacon into ~1” pieces.

DSC_1415

Toss the pieces into your crockpot. Note that I have a small crockpot (~4-5 quarts). If you have a larger crockpot or are cooking for more people, double the recipe.

DSC_1423

Add 2 cups of fresh pineapple chunks.

DSC_1431

Grab a large can {this one is 28 oz} of crushed tomatoes. San Marzano Crushed Tomatoes are my favorite. Yes, there are more Paleo-friendly options on some shelves. Choose the one that works for you.

DSC_1438

Pour the crushed tomatoes over the bacon and pineapple.

DSC_1451

Next, you’ll need some Italian seasoning. I’m sure you’ve got it in your cabinet! If you don’t, it’s a good staple to have.

DSC_1456

Measure out 1 tablespoon over the mixture.

DSC_1465

Black pepper time! Use as much or as little as you like. You can even substitute with red pepper flakes if you prefer their flavor.

DSC_1470

I added ½ tsp of black pepper.

DSC_1490

Got it all in there? Give it a quick stir then let it cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. By the time you come home for dinner, your house will smell like a pizza parlor.

DSC_1520

Spoon it into a bowl, sprinkle with more red pepper flakes if you like, use a little parsley for garnish, and enjoy.

Crockpot Hawaiian Pizza

Makes 3-4 Servings

1 lb Canadian Bacon, cut into 1” cubes

2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1” cubes

28 oz crushed tomatoes

1 Tbl Italian seasoning

½ tsp ground black pepper

red pepper flakes {optional}

flatleaf parsley {optional}

Place all ingredients in a Crockpot or slowcooker and stir together. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with red pepper flakes or parsley.

Enjoy!

Time: 5 minute prep

Cook Time: 4-8 hours

DSC_1580

21 Responses to “Crockpot Hawaiian Pizza”

paleoinpdxposted October 2, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Yum, I am so making this soon!

• fedandfit replied: — October 3rd, 2013 @ 10:50 am

Woo!! I’d love to know what you think!

• paleoinpdx replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and it is SO good! Oh my gosh, I couldn’t get over how delicious and easy it was! It smelled just like Hawaiian pizza when it was cooking too (I cooked on low for 8 hours). I also added fresh minced garlic to the mix because I love garlic and always add it to my tomato sauces. Anyway, I will definitely make this again! Thanks for the tasty recipe :)

• fedandfit replied: — October 17th, 2013 @ 7:37 am

I’m so glad you liked it! It’s almost surprisingly tasty, isn’t it? The garlic sounds like a great addition. I’ll remember that next time :)

• paleoinpdx replied: — October 17th, 2013 @ 10:03 am

Yes, so simple, but oh SO good!

michelledvkposted October 3, 2013 at 8:33 am

Awesome! It looks so easy and yummy! Will definitely give this one a whirl.

• fedandfit replied: — October 3rd, 2013 @ 10:50 am

Awesome! Thanks, Michelle :)

• Michelle replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 10:47 am

Finally made this last night. So easy and so good! I used red pepper flakes and topped with pickled jalapenos for a little extra kick…just how I like my Hawaiian pizza!

Athenatherottweilerposted October 3, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Gus is too cute!

• fedandfit replied: — October 5th, 2013 @ 7:15 am

Haha thanks! He’s a riot.

joannabanana21posted October 3, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’ve never had ham and pineapple pizza, but I do LOVE that combo on easter. we had a really good ham with pineapples baked onto it. I bet this would taste similar. i’m not sure where I can get Canadian bacon. what brand do you use? I know I can get regular bacon anywhere, but it looks too thin for this.

• fedandfit replied: — October 5th, 2013 @ 7:22 am

I used Boar’s Head Canadian Bacon. If you can’t find the Canadian Bacon, I recommend you use ham instead. I agree that regular bacon would be too thin. Hope that helps!

nannybmacposted October 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I think ham would work – same cured pork

• fedandfit replied: — October 5th, 2013 @ 7:22 am

Absolutely!

Sunshineposted October 16, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I made this tonight and followed the recipe. I used Boars Head Canadian Bacon sliced at an 8 (yes, I actually showed the deli workers the picture from the site and asked what they thought it was). It was super easy to make and turned out well. I did eat it on corn tortillas – so kind of like a pizza tortilla – and it was very good. I cooked it on low for 6.5 hours. I was expecting it to be more salty and was pleasantly surprised.

• fedandfit replied: — October 17th, 2013 @ 7:42 am

Sunshine! You’re so awesome! I love that you showed the picture to the deli. So glad you liked the dish.

Erinposted February 4, 2014 at 6:48 pm

The funny thing is I live in Canada and I couldn’t find Canadian Bacon at the grocery store so I used ham. There were many varieties if ham! I used a honey ham. I LOVE ham and pineapple pizza! But I wasn’t a fan of this recipe. It turned out fine, just prefer my pizza, I guess. It was runny like a pasta sauce, so I made some spaghetti to eat with it. Oh, I don’t know if this made a difference or not but I baked it in the oven for about an hour until it was bubbling. I didn’t have time to use the slow cooker.

• Cassandra replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

Too funny that you couldn’t find Canadian Bacon in Canada! All that sounds about right, though. It’s definitely not a substitute for the pizza crunch but the flavors are great. Thanks for your feedback :)

Monicaposted May 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm

This looks great! There’s another paleo site that has a recipe for a 3 ingredient paleo naan and I’ll bet this recipe and that recipe would make a rockin’ calzone! If I get to it this weekend, I’ll let you know!

joanna schuppposted September 16, 2014 at 12:14 am

i commented about a year ago and i finally made it!! took me a while to find some smoked ham to use but this is awesome. so happy i made it.

• Cassy replied: — September 16th, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad you liked it, Joanna!