5-Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-1

Every person has their condiment of choice. Some people like to drown each bite of their eggs and steak in ketchup. Others, like my sweet boyfriend Austin, like to slather everything from our morning frittatas to his evening pizza in Tabasco. There’s the mustard people, the Sriracha people, the mayo people, and the apple cider vinegar people. While I enjoy all those fabulous sauces from time to time, there’s one condiment that is MINE. I am a banner-waving, button-wearing, proud ranch dressing enthusiast.

Store-bought ranch dressing is full of vegetable oil (we know to avoid because of rancidity and an unbalanced Omega-6/Omega-3 profile), sugar, and nonfat buttermilk. While grabbing a bottle of the famous vegetable dippable is easy and appealing, I’m here to tell you that you CAN make it from home and that it’s easy. as. pie.

Easier than pie, actually. Pie’s not always very easy – especially if you’re a nervous baker like me.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-2

Because I know we don’t all have hours to spend in the kitchen, I have worked to find a ranch dressing recipe that is as simple as possible, healthful, and still hits the spot. I worked my recipe down to just 5 ingredients and about 10 minutes. That’s it!

My recipe starts with a basic Paleo-friendly mayo and then after a few additional ingredients, transforms into luscious ranch dressing.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-3

Let’s get started!

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-4

Crack one large (ideally, room temperature) egg into a food processor or blender.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-5

Add about 2 Tbl of (again, ideally room temperature) lemon juice. I usually just ballpark the 2 Tbl with one large lemon.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-6

Then add 1/2 tsp of kosher or sea salt.

Blend the egg, lemon juice, and salt together until they’re well combined.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-7

While store-bought mayo is usually made with canola or vegetable oil, we’re going to make ours with olive oil. I strongly recommend you hunt down some of this “light tasting” olive oil. The normal extra virgin olive oil will give your sauce a strong olive taste.

Side-note: beware of the store-bought mayo that says “made with olive oil.” While there might be a splash of olive oil somewhere in the jar, they’re still made with canola. Sneaky marketing!

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-9

Because I’m a messy cook, I like to use fun kitchen tools like funnels to help keep my workspace less tragic.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-10

Measure out 1.5 cups of the light-tasting olive oil, turn your food processor or blender ON, and then SLOWLY drizzle in the oil. We want to add it as slowly as possible so that we can create thick immersion. This should take about 2 minutes.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-11

After you’ve added all your oil, turn the food processor off and check out your hard work!

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-12

Perfect consistency.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-13

Spoon your mayo into separate bowl.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-14

Add 1 Tbl of dried dill.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-15

And then 2 more Tbl of fresh lemon juice (or just another large lemon).

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-16

That’s it! If you want to get fancier, you can add a few Tbl of freshly chopped parsley, a clove of garlic, and some fresh chives. I think it tastes marvelous as is, though.

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-17

Give it a good stir and you are finished!

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-20

5 Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing | Fed and Fit-21

When I’ve got a batch of this goodness in my fridge, I’ll dip almost anything in it. That being said, it does go really well with crunchy vegetables, chicken fingers, and Paleo-friendly pizza.

Print Print

5-Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing

Yield: 2 cups

Prep Time: 10 minutes

• 1 egg, room temperature
  • 4 Tbl lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups "light-tasting" olive oil
  • 1 Tbl dried dill

1. Blend egg, 2 Tbl of the lemon juice, and salt in your food processor or blender.
  2. With the blender ON, drizzle in the olive oil as slowly as possible.
  3. Pour into separate bowl and stir in the rest of the lemon juice and dill.
  4. Enjoy! This will keep covered in the refrigerator for about one week.

56 Responses to “5-Ingredient Paleo Ranch Dressing”

Meg @ A Dash of Megposted March 27, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I am so excited to try this :) Thank you!

my condiment of choice would be bbq sauce or mustard. I want to make a recipe for a good bbq sauce to share on my blog :)

• Cassy replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 7:43 pm

Oooo, yes please!! I’m happy to taste test for you :)

Alexisposted March 30, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Was looking for a good paleo ranch dressing and found your blog via Michelle Tam! And then you made me homesick with the HEB bottle!! No HEBs here in Tennessee (and boy do we need ’em!).

Hubby loves this recipe – thank you!!

• Cassy replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 7:45 pm

That’s so awesome!! Which link of her’s led to me? (just curious) :)

Also, I’m so sorry about the HEB teaser! I usually try to post photos of brands that can be found everywhere, but this puppy was all I had at the time. It’s a great grocery store!

Ellie Longposted April 5, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Followed the recipe, end result in the processor was a perfect consistency, it was beautiful with the dill added in…and then I tasted it :/ I bought a store brand light tasting olive oil and maybe that’s the problem, but yuck. I was so disappointed too, I found your recipe through stupideasypaleo’s buffalo chicken recipe and wanted to pair them. Is there a specific brand of light tasting oil that I should use in the future?

• Cassy replied: — April 29th, 2014 @ 12:31 am

I’m sorry about the bad taste! The right olive oil makes all the difference. I’ve used Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil before and it worked well. Hope that helps!

Tilly Greerposted April 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I added more dill, some garlic powder, some onion powder, and fresh cracked pepper and it was very good. It had more of a mayo flavor than I usually like in ranch but still worth making.

• Cassy replied: — April 29th, 2014 @ 12:31 am

Glad you liked it, Tilly!

Lindyposted April 25, 2014 at 2:36 am

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why are we not concerned about eating an uncooked egg?

• Cassy replied: — April 28th, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

Not a stupid question at all, Lindy! See my answer to Chris. Hope that helps!

Chrisposted April 28, 2014 at 8:46 am

Hi Cassie, thanks for this great recipe. A question, what are the risks associated with eating a raw egg? (or am I missing something?)

• Cassy replied: — April 28th, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

Hi Chris! Good question. There are some risks (percentages of which are all debatable) associated with consuming raw egg. I buy local, pasture-raised eggs which tend to have less risk of disease compared their mass-produced cousins. It’s still a personal choice. I enjoy eggs over-easy and use raw eggs in my homemade mousse {}. You can also learn more about the awesome healing powers of raw foods (eggs, meats, dairy, etc.) from my friend Melissa Henig over at http://rawpaleo.com/. I hope that helps!

Kaylaposted May 1, 2014 at 12:07 am

I just went to the store and didn’t realize it’s dried dill… I bought fresh. Is that ok??

• Cassy replied: — May 2nd, 2014 @ 8:17 pm

Totally okay!

Jessicaposted May 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Because it’s not full of preservatives to keep it on the shelf or fridge for an eternity, how long do you estimate homemade condiments, such as this ranch dressing, last in the fridge before spoiling?

• Cassy replied: — May 5th, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

Great question! I would give it about one week.

kristinaposted May 8, 2014 at 2:28 pm

do you think you could use avocado oil instead?

• Cassy replied: — May 8th, 2014 @ 3:44 pm

Absolutely! I haven’t tried it myself, so I can’t vouch for what flavors to expect …but the science should be the same.

Julia Kurtzposted June 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

How is yours white? Mine looks the color of the oil & it looks like oil {I used an emulsion stick blender, which I read is the best way to make mayo/dressings?}

• Cassy replied: — June 17th, 2014 @ 2:32 pm

Hm, good question Julia. While some people make mayo using an emulsion blender, I recommend using a food processor to get the same results as in my photos. That being said, I do have an emulsion mayo recipe on my to-do list for a video in the future :)

Estherposted June 24, 2014 at 2:58 am

Thanks for the recipe! Instead of just dill, I used a tablespoon from this homemade ranch mix:
    2 Tbsp. dried parsley
    1 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    2 tsp. onion powder
    2 tsp. dried onion flakes
    1 tsp. ground black pepper
    1 tsp. dried chives
    1 tsp. salt
    Turned out wonderful, but I’ll have to invest in some better olive oil as the flavor was more pronounced than I hoped.
    Thanks again!

• Cassy replied: — June 25th, 2014 @ 4:30 pm

Good tip! Thanks, Esther. I hope the different olive oil gives you the mayo you want next time :)

Estherposted June 29, 2014 at 1:16 am

Thank you for the recipe, I used it on my Whole 30 blog! http://mekwhole30.blogspot.com/

• Cassy replied: — July 10th, 2014 @ 3:26 pm

Ana kposted July 28, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I attempted your recipe 2x and followed it to the t and failed. It keeps coming coming in a liquid consistency :( I even took 3+ minutes of pouring the evoo in the blender and I still got the same result :/ HELP!

• Cassy replied: — July 28th, 2014 @ 10:08 pm

Oh no! The temperature and size of the eggs can make a big difference. To help create more structure for the dressing, we can add in additional egg yolk. Toss in an additional egg yolk with the whole egg, blend it (by itself) until it starts to get fluffy and thick. At that point, add the lemon juice and salt and then blend again. THEN, follow the instructions to slowly drizzle in the oil.

I hope it works for you!

John Taylorposted August 12, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I’m new to the paleo lifestyle and I’ve never made the paleo mayo recipe until now. I figured I would take it a step forward and try your ranch dressing recipe and I have to say I was impressed. It taste very good, thanks! It was even better the next day.

• Cassy replied: — August 17th, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

Awesome! Thanks, John!

Joyceposted August 19, 2014 at 11:52 pm

What is the shelf life if the mayo and ranch?

• Cassy replied: — August 20th, 2014 @ 4:17 pm

I’d give it about 7 days.

Sarahposted January 2, 2015 at 10:51 pm

this was my first crack at both a paleo mayo/ranch and it turned out great! I also added onion powder, diced garlic, and black pepper! Thanks for the recipe!

Bryanposted January 5, 2015 at 2:03 am

Have you tried this with Coconut oil?

Kariposted January 7, 2015 at 1:25 am

Are we able to freeze this if we don’t use it all up in a week?

Hollyposted January 11, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Mine NEVER ever got thick even after using all the tips, added an extra yolk. Just runny- :(

Tracieposted January 20, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Hi – question – my mayo is already made – how much mayo should I use in relation to the other ingrediants to make the ranch dressing?
    Thanks so much

zutsalorsposted January 21, 2015 at 10:01 am

this is an emulsion. Not an “immersion”.

Emilyposted January 21, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Hey, I was on the hunt via Pinterest for a simple tasty ranch dressing, I have yet to try this recipe but plan on doing so. I was searching for a recipe that I could make with ingredients that I have on hand. I do not keek buttermilk or plain yogurt on hand in my household so this recipe looks stellar! My question in regards to this and other recipes is: why has no one bothered to use a bit of Creme of tartar in the recipe? I was wondering if it isn’t a healthy seasoning/flavor. I do not use creme of tartar in my cooking baking regularly so I do have some on hand. Would creme of tartar be too much, wrong consistency or texture? Please reply as I am curious, and if anyone else knows please let me know. Thanks for the assistance in my learning :)

JWalterposted January 21, 2015 at 10:55 pm

hi. I’m making this as I write but it doesn’t say how much mayo anywhere. I double checked your steps and the receipt part. One cup?

• Cassy replied: — January 21st, 2015 @ 11:14 pm

1.5 cups! :)

Kristina Beagleposted January 23, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Silly question, but what size food processor are you using in the photo. I feel like my food processor would be too big for this, but then again I’ve thought that before and its been fine. I have a 7cup cuisinart pro classic.

Austinposted January 28, 2015 at 5:16 am

Is this whole 30 approved?

Aniaposted February 5, 2015 at 2:09 am

This looks Yummy!! I can’t wait to try it. Also, thought you’d like to know that you are creating an “emulsion” not an “immersion” when you add the oil to the egg base.

Alexposted February 17, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Can I freeze this? I love the recipe but since I am the only one eating it, I definitely won’t finish it all in 7 days. If I can freeze it, how long should it last for in the freezer?

Nicoleposted February 25, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Tried this for the firstime time this weekend and accidentally got extra virgin olive oil and it tasted like olives and some great seasoning… we might just use that for cooking but we remade it with the correct olive oil and added the fresh parsley and some ground cayenne and it tastes amazing!

Lauraposted March 12, 2015 at 12:38 pm

How much mayo? It’s not in the printable recipe area….

kirkorposted March 16, 2015 at 2:36 pm

re: the raw egg thing, I’ve also had it explained that if you let the egg and lemon juice commingle and come to room temperature together, the citric acid “cooks” the egg in a similar fashion to the lime juice in shrimp ceviche.

laceyposted March 25, 2015 at 11:51 pm

This is a great ranch recipe, I’ve tried a few and I love how easy this one is. I used avocado oil and it was excellent !! Although it didn’t get as thick as I was hoping it was still awesome though. Thanks for sharing !!

• Kelly replied: — April 5th, 2015 @ 2:21 am

Thanks for trying it Lacey!!

Adrienneposted August 18, 2015 at 1:55 am

Made this tonight. Delicious! I used it on a roast beef spinach salad. Would be delicious with a little horseradish. Gonna use it on salmon this week too!

• Kelly replied: — August 23rd, 2015 @ 11:02 pm

Love that idea Adrienne! So glad you liked it, thanks for trying it out!!

Laurenposted August 28, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Is consuming a raw egg in this recipe not a concern? Just curious. Thanks!

• Kelly replied: — August 31st, 2015 @ 6:46 pm

Hi Lauren, good question! There are some risks (percentages of which are all debatable) associated with consuming raw egg. I buy local, pasture-raised eggs which tend to have less risk of disease compared their mass-produced cousins. It’s still a personal choice. It is also said that if you let the egg and lemon juice commingle and come to room temperature together, the citric acid “cooks” the egg in a similar fashion to the lime juice in shrimp ceviche. Hope that helps!

ngyoungposted October 1, 2015 at 1:08 pm

FYI. Most of the light olive oils are cut with cheap canola or vegetable oils as well. Even a lot of the big brand ones that are just regular EVOO still cut theirs down with veggy/canola oil. Almost all real olive oil is bottled in dark glass bottles to protect from oxidation. That isn’t 100% a sign that it is pure olive oil but helps narrow it down. Clear bottles, even if it happens to be pure will likely have a lot more oxidation from light just sitting on the store shelves.

Michelleposted November 1, 2015 at 9:22 pm

How many calories are in one tbsp of this dressing?

• Kelly replied: — November 2nd, 2015 @ 2:04 pm

Hi Michelle, I do not know how many calories are in one tablespoon of this dressing. You could enter all the ingredients into a website/app (like MyFitnessPal) to figure out the breakdown per serving though. Hope that helps.