These BBQ Ranch Meatloaf-Stuffed Tomatoes are an absolute breeze to whip up and will make the entire family happy! Delicious protein, healthy fats, and vegetables packed in each bite.
If you’re a long-time reader here or if you have a copy of my Fed & Fit book, you know that I consider “foods that are stuffed” to be in a league of their own. They even have, rightfully-so, a dedicated “Foods that are Stuffed” chapter in my book. I LOVE stuffing foods! I think it’s a neat and efficient way to get veggies and proteins to happily wed.
I’m thrilled to welcome a new recipe into the stuffed-foods family today! These BBQ Ranch Meatloaf-Stuffed Tomatoes are the real freaking deal, you guys. They’re also crazy simple to make. Here’s the gist: we take about 8 medium-sized tomatoes, cut a hole in the top, and spoon out the insides.
Pro tip: use a grapefruit spoon (one with a serrated edge) to help scoop out the inside membrane. It helps to cut through the flesh more easily than a regular spoon!
I like to nestle my hulled-out tomatoes in a pie or small casserole dish. Once your tomatoes are prepped, it’s time to start on the meatloaf filling! Simply take one pound of ground beef and add in 1/3 cup of BBQ sauce. Note: I have a great recipe for BBQ sauce in my book and you can find another on my blog HERE. Make sure the sauce is well-incorporated into the meat. THEN, simply form balls and squish as much as you can into each tomato. If you have any leftover, either pile it on top of a few chosen ‘maters or form into a patty and make yourself a quick burger snack.
Spoon a little extra BBQ sauce on top of each stuffed tomato and then bake at 350 F for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and smelling delicious.
NOTE: while the tomatoes and beef cook, they WILL release a lot of liquid. This is completely normal. Once your pan has cooled slightly, I recommend using a turkey baster to suck up and discard the extra liquid.
Garnish the finished tomatoes with an extra drizzle of fresh BBQ sauce, a generous drizzle of some homemade ranch dressing, and sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
These BBQ Ranch Meatloaf-Stuffed Tomatoes are SO GOOD, you guys. You’re going to love them. To make it a complete meal, I recommend serving next to some mashed potatoes and quick greens.
BBQ Ranch Meatloaf Stuffed Tomatoes
- 8 medium-sized tomatoes hulled (see above for instructions)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce divided
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Place the hulled tomatoes in a appropriately-sized pie pan or casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, massage 1/3 cup of the BBQ sauce into the ground beef until well-incorporated. Spoon an equal amount of beef into each tomato, rounding off the tops.
- Spoon a small amount of BBQ sauce on top of each stuffed tomato.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes, or until bubbly but not burnt.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then use a baster to remove the excess fluid that released while in the oven. Discard the fluid.
- Garnish the tomatoes with the remaining BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, and fresh cilantro.