Four Greens Soup
Fortified with kale, spinach, collards, and chard, this four greens soup will nourish, satisfy, and inspire a craving for this incredibly healthy dish!
We all crave certain foods and, I like to argue, a finely-tuned and property-interpreted craving can be a little peek into what our complex bodies need at that exact moment. Sometimes I crave sweet potatoes when I need more carbohydrates and sometimes I’ll get a strange craving for grapefruit when I need more Vitamin C. I’ve craved sardines, beef, berries, cilantro, beets, and even eggplant, but the food I find myself craving most often is a dark leafy green. THIS particular craving hits me like a bag of bricks and the need is (often) involuntarily voiced out-loud. It usually washes over me after a long trip or indulgent weekend. I’ll find myself standing in the kitchen saying “I just need something GREEN!” I mean, really, really green. I want to go ham on a piece of kale. The only problem is, as soon as I start chewing on said raw piece of kale, I’m instantly bored and that boredom edges out the craving. So, I move onto more practical foods …like the leftover gluten-free pizza siting on the top shelf of my refrigerator.
I got to thinking one day that it would be SO nice to have a go-to dish that could squash a craving (or bodily need) for greens that ALSO tasted really, really good. Though I have a number of killer (if I do say so, myself) cooked leafy green recipes in my ‘Fed & Fit’ book (braised kale, lemony bacon super greens, green detox smoothie, etc.), I was in the mood for something savory that didn’t involve a whole bunch of chewing.
A light bulb went off: soup! Let’s make soup. Let’s make some soup with all the greens. We’ll add in a little chicken broth, pinch of sea salt, a sauteed onion + garlic, and (obviously) fresh lemon.
I made this soup in an effort to help satisfy my craving for “something green” and, though it delivered, it also accidentally inspired a NEW craving for this green, green soup! I was honestly surprised by how much I loved this soup. I inhaled two full bowls and wanted more. It was delicious, satisfying, and gave me that green boost I wanted without feeling like a rabbit.
Backed by kale, spinach, collards, and chard, this four greens soup is sure to make green cravings craveable again.
I hope you enjoy!
four greens soup20 minutes 0:20 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (may sub ghee or butter), additional or garnish
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch curly kale, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch collard greens, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch swiss chard, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1.5 quarts chicken broth (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 lemons, juiced
- cracked black pepper, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent and starting to brown. Once the onions are nicely fragrant and golden in color, add the garlic and saute for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add all of the raw greens to the pot. Stir well and then place the lid on the pot. Let the pot steam for 5 minutes, or until the greens cook down and reduce by half in volume. Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer, and then add the salt. Turn off the heat, add the fresh lemon juice, and then pour the soup into a large blender.
- Blend on high for 4 to 5 minutes, or until it is *completely* blended and smooth.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh cracked black pepper, if desired.
The soup will keep as leftovers for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Note that it also freezes well!