10-Minute Breakfast Potatoes
Have a healthy, crispy, perfectly seasoned starch on your breakfast plate in no time with these 10-minute breakfast potatoes!
These 10-minute breakfast potatoes are one of those quick-food-prep tricks I've kept up my sleeve for a LONG time. To be honest, I was a little nervous about sharing the recipe here on my blog BECAUSE *one* option for making them involves the microwave …but I'm finally past caring. For some reason, Snapchat has evolved as my new age proving ground. That's where I go to hash out new ideas and share clips of what I'm working on *before* they're ready for a formal announcement. It's also where I show even more of my real life! I highlight the not-Instagram-worthy (i.e. not pretty) photos of my meals and I also show some simple cooking demonstrations. ONE such demonstration was these 10-minute breakfast potatoes. You see, even though proclaiming that I am a microwave user makes me nervous on a large platform (ahem: my blog), Snapchat is my safe space and I was BLOWN away by how many people loved the recipe! Snapchat videos are only available for 24-hours and I couldn't believe how many folks started tagging me in Instagram photos of their 10-minute breakfast potatoes.
I adore these potatoes for a couple reasons. FIRST, it's a quick and easy way to get a healthy starch on your breakfast plate; which is especially important after a workout. Next, they're just dang delicious. I usually cook them in the same pan I used to fry bacon/cook eggs. This recipe is more of a choose-your-own-ending type template, but I'll share my method and a couple variations so you too can enjoy crispy, heavily seasoned breakfast potatoes as often as you like.
So, let's first explain the microwave method and then I'll talk about how you can use a different method to get the same effect (though not in the same time frame). The “10-minute” badge on these potatoes is thanks to a trick my Mother-In-Law taught me. Once upon a time, she was serving up baked potatoes and I watched in wonder as she wrapped each potato in a couple soaked wet paper towels. She then placed these potatoes into the microwave and nuked them! They came out soft …and in under 5 minutes. WOW. My mind was blown.
SO, I adapted the same principle here. Using *small* yellow potatoes, I follow the same steps. I wrap them in a soaked paper towel and then microwave for about 4 minutes, or until they give with a poke. From there, I let them sit on the counter until they're cooled enough to touch. Before I toss them into a skillet with lots of butter or bacon fat, I will smash them. Using the back of a spatula or large spoon, just press down on the potato until it is about 1/2-inch thick. Season LIBERALLY with your favorite spice blend (Adobo by Primal Plate is my personal favorite, Meat & Potatoes is a close second), and then place in the hot butter. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes, or until the potato is darkened in color and looking crispy. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Now, for a non-microwave option, we're just going to use the oven! In fact, I used this method to make the potatoes shown in these photos. THIS method is ideal if you're looking to make these potatoes in bulk (meal prep for the freezer, for example). The tail-end of the recipe is exactly the same, but we place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 375 F for about 45 minutes (or until they too give with a poke) and then let cool.
I hope you love this recipe and find it handy to finally have it written down and not just talked about on Snapchat. If you're looking for more breakfast inspiration, check out our Loaded Breakfast Fries for a jazzed up version of this simple spud!
10-Minute Breakfast Potatoes
- Yield: 2 servings
- 4 small yellow potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee, or bacon fat
- 2 teaspoons spice blend of choice ([url]Adobo∞https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CPNIEQG/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=feanfi-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01CPNIEQG&linkId=59b87a228ff2f55daf97ab410fbb7178[/url] by Primal Plate is my personal favorite, [url]Meat & Potatoes∞https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGZ2B48/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=feanfi-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01DGZ2B48&linkId=977de672247dd55b8626e2ac868708b7[/url] is a close second)
- fresh chopped chives for garnish, optional
- Microwave method: wrap each potato in 1 very wet paper towel. Microwave all 4 potatoes together on high for 4 minutes, adding time (if needed) until they're soft enough to give with a poke. Let cool to touch.
- Oven method: place the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until they're soft. Let cool to touch.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and then using the back of a spatula or large spoon, smash the potatoes until they're about 1/2-inch thick. Season liberally with the blend of your choice and then pan sear for about 2 minutes, or until crispy looking, and then flip to cook the other side for the same amount of time.
- Add more seasoning, if desired, garnish with the chives, and enjoy warm!