The Breakfast Saladjump to recipe
This breakfast salad features breakfast sausage meatballs, hard-boiled eggs, sliced tomatoes, and avocado for a deliciously different breakfast that you can eat all week!
This breakfast salad originally debuted on Fed and Fit back on July 5th of 2011 – and it still remains one of our favorite, most popular recipes! As much as our recipe development and even food philosophy have changed over the years, the flavors in this dish are still incredible so we decided it was well past time for a bit of a makeover.
In this salad, you'll find breakfast sausage meatballs, cherry tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, red onion, and avocado all tied together by two of our favorite ingredients – cilantro and lemon juice! The yolks from the hard-boiled eggs combine with the lemon juice and avocado to make a delicious, creamy dressing that really takes the flavor to the next level. This is a great dish to make ahead for the week to have for breakfast every day, and, if you're finding yourself in a bit of a breakfast rut, it's a great way to switch things up.
Breakfast Salad Ingredients
Here's what you'll need on hand to make this breakfast salad!
- Breakfast sausage or bacon. It's up to you whether you'd prefer to use breakfast sausage or bacon in this recipe, though we show it here with breakfast sausage. When choosing your breakfast sausage or bacon, we recommend looking for one with minimal ingredients that is nitrate and nitrite-free.
- Eggs. Hard-boiled eggs are the next main component of this salad, they provide protein and so much flavor to the dish.
- Avocados. Can you ever go wrong with avocados? Here they help add a creamy consistency to the dish as well as a good boost of healthy fats.
- Tomatoes. Slightly sweet cherry tomatoes help brighten up this breakfast salad with their acidity.
- Red onion. The red onion in this salad provides just a little bit of bite to the dish.
- Cilantro or parsley. A generous amount of cilantro or parsley (whichever you prefer!) provides fresh flavor to this salad.
- Lemon juice. Finally, lemon juice brings everything together and mixes with the avocado and egg yolks to form a sort of creamy dressing that makes this dish irresistible.
How to Make Breakfast Salad
Now that you have your ingredients, let's dive in!
- Brown the breakfast sausage meatballs. Roll your breakfast sausage into 1/2 inch balls, then cook them. You've got two choices here – you can either cook these in a pan on the stove, or you can place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake them at 400 F for 15 minutes. We've also had many people skip the meatball step altogether and just brown the ground sausage – it is really up to you!
- Boil the eggs. While the meatballs are cooking, get the eggs boiling. We've tested many, many methods and this one results in easy-to-peel eggs every time. Once the eggs are peeled, you'll chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop the remaining ingredients. With the big components out of the way, the next step is to dice your avocados, halve the cherry tomatoes, slice the red onion, and chop the cilantro.
- Add everything to a bowl, then stir it up. Next, you'll add all of your ingredients to a large bowl, squeeze the lemons over top, and stir everything together.
Breakfast Salad FAQ
How long does this keep for?
This breakfast salad will stay good for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. If you want to extend its life a little longer, you can leave out the avocado and add it in with each serving.
Will the avocados brown?
The lemon juice in the recipe keeps the avocados from browning! Note that even if you do happen to notice a bit of browning, the avocados are still fine to eat.
Do you serve this hot or cold?
It's totally up to your preference! I personally eat it cold, but many others have enjoyed it hot as well.
I can't eat X, can I still make this?
This breakfast salad is super customizable! If you can't eat eggs, don't like tomatoes, etc, feel free to leave them out. You don't need to make any additional adjustments to this dish.
For PERFECT eggs every time (yes, really!), check out our hard-boiled eggs tutorial!
More Meal Prep-Friendly Breakfasts
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Sweet Potato Breakfast Meatballs
- Make-Ahead Balanced Breakfast Jars
- Green Protein Smoothie Freezer Packs
- Egg-Free Breakfast Skillet
The Breakfast Salad
This breakfast salad features breakfast sausage meatballs, hard boiled eggs, sliced tomatoes, and avocado for a deliciously different breakfast that you can eat all week!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the sausage into 1/2 inch meatballs and place on the parchment paper, then bake for 15 minutes, until browned and fully cooked through.
- While the meatballs are cooking, peel the eggs and cut each into 8 pieces.
- Combine the eggs, tomatoes, onion, avocado, meatballs, cilantro, salt, pepper, and lemon juice into a large mixing bowl and stir until the egg yolks and avocado become a little creamy.
- Spoon into a bowl and enjoy! Will keep covered for 3 days in the refrigerator.
- If using bacon, we recommend baking in the oven at 400 for 18 to 20 minutes, until crisp, then breaking the bacon up into bite-sized pieces.
Keywords: salad, meal-prep, gluten-free, quick