Roasted Veggie Breakfast Casserolejump to recipe
This Roasted Veggie Breakfast Casserole is the marriage of a sheet pan dinner with a breakfast casserole. Veggies and breakfast sausage are browned/roasted together in the oven before they're transformed into a breakfast that can be enjoyed all week.
This casserole is BIG …just the way I like it. If you, too, enjoy a hearty breakfast but don't always have the time (or energy) to spend making it each morning, I highly encourage you consider a breakfast casserole. This Roasted Veggie Breakfast Casserole, especially. We have a ton of other breakfast casseroles on the blog already, and I also highly recommend this Clean Start Paleo Breakfast Casserole as a personal favorite as well!
Here's how it goes: grab an abundance of lovely vegetables that strike your interest! For this version, I grabbed some eggplant, asparagus, bell peppers, and purple (technically, “red”) onions. Give those veggies a rough chop and then spread them out on 1 to 2 baking sheets. If you're pro-breakfast meats, this is where this casserole gets even MORE fun! Grab a pound of breakfast sausage and drop it in little clumps (raw) over the veggies. This way, the sausage will brown while the veggies roast and the whole happy family will come out of the oven ready to be tossed in a casserole dish. No need to brown sausage elsewhere, you can knock that out in the oven!
As soon as the sausage is browned and the veggies are wilted and looking scrumptious, pull them from the oven and scrape into a casserole dish. Crack your eggs, give them a whisk, and pour over the top. From HERE, you can choose your own adventure! If you're pro-cheese, add cheese! If you've got a favorite spice blend, use that on top! I chose the Bagel Balanced Bites Blend for the top of mine.
Bake the eggs until they're set, let it cool just a bit, and then serve up your Roasted Veggie Breakfast Casserole squares. Note that unless you're feeding 10 people, you're probably going to have leftovers. This keeps/reheats REALLY well (I just use the microwave), but you could also freeze a few squares. To freeze, I recommend wrapping individual servings in parchment paper or dropping them into bags.
I hope you enjoy this sheet pan prep turned casserole idea!Print
Roasted Veggie Breakfast Casserole
This roasted veggie breakfast casserole is a tasty and nutritious way to start your day! Make it ahead for the week or use it to feed a big crowd for brunch.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the Vegetables:
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, thick stems discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds bulk breakfast sausage (without casings)
For the Casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place the chopped bell peppers, red onion, eggplant, and asparagus on one large, or two medium, sheet pans, then drop bite-sized pieces of the breakfast sausage on top of the vegetables and bake for 45 minutes, until caramelized.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Add vegetables and sausage to a deep 9×13 inch baking dish. Pour the eggs over the vegetables, then sprinkle on bagel spice blend.
- Bake the casserole for 30-35 minutes or until the center is firm (give it a shake and if it jiggles, it needs more time).
- Let the casserole cool for 5-10 minutes, then cut and serve!
Keywords: veggies, breakfast, low-carb, meal prep, casserole, eggs