Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
These blueberry sweet potato breakfast meatballs are a portable breakfast that delivers protein, healthy carbs, and greens in every bite! They’re perfect for meal prepping over the weekend so you can eat them all week long.
I LOVE a hearty breakfast. For me, the ideal balanced breakfast includes protein, a starchy carb, a pile of greens for extra energy, in-season fruit, and has good representation from all the colors of the rainbow. There’s just one caveat to my dream breakfast: it isn’t always so easy to fit in making (and eating) it on your typical rushed weekday morning! And that’s precisely why we’re bringing you these blueberry sweet potato breakfast meatballs.
These little portable bites combine ground pork, shredded sweet potatoes, blueberries, and kale for a breakfast option that is totally meal prep-friendly, egg-free, and easy to eat on the go while also packing a big nutritional punch. Each bite of these breakfast meatballs brings you the perfect combination of sweet and savory for a breakfast you’ll actually look forward to eating all week long!
These breakfast meatballs are also extremely customizable to your own tastes:
- If you’re not a fan of the sweet and savory combo, you can absolutely leave out the blueberries and maple syrup for a more savory version.
- You can easily swap out the shredded sweet potato for shredded white potatoes or even winter squash if you’re looking for a lower-carb alternative!
- If kale isn’t your thing (though you should totally try our lemony kale before making that decision) you can substitute freshly chopped spinach here for a more mild green.
- If you’ve got breakfast sausage already on hand, you can use that in place of the ground pork and omit the extra seasonings in the recipe.
Finally, these breakfast meatballs are PERFECT for making in a large batch. You can either keep them in the refrigerator and eat them all week, or freeze them and reheat them straight from frozen whenever you need. We hope you love them as much as we do!
Just for You
Want more recipe ideas like this?
- 2 pounds ground pork may also use turkey
- 1 large sweet potato peeled
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped and de-stemmed kale
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup omit for Whole 30
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme may substitute 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh chopped sage may substitute 3/4 teaspoon dried
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Grate the sweet potato until you have enough to equal 1 1/2 cups, then add to a large bowl along with the ground pork, kale, blueberries, maple syrup, salt, thyme, and sage. Work the mixture with your hands until fully combined.
- Shape the mixture into one inch balls and place on the rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes until the meatballs are browned and the blueberries have burst.
- Let cool slightly then enjoy!
- These will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- You can substitute spinach for the kale, but due to the water content of spinach we recommend cooking it first, then wrapping it in cheesecloth and squeezing out the excess water before adding it into the meatballs.
- If you don’t like sweet potatoes, you can substitute with an equal amount of shredded white potatoes. For a lower carb substitute, use shredded butternut squash.