Chocolate Chili Pecan Clusters
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 15 clusters
- 2 cups pecan halves, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Option A — Melt chocolate with a double-boiler: Choose a glass bowl fitted so that it can rest on top of a small/medium-sized sauce pot without falling in. Bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in the sauce pot. Reduce the temperature to a simmer, pour the chocolate chips in the glass bowl, and place the bowl on top of the simmering pot. Using a rubber spatula, stir the chocolate continuously until it melts completely.
- Option B — Melt chocolate in the microwave: Pour the chocolate chips in a glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave, stir the entire mixture over using a rubber spatula – allowing time for the chocolate to continue to melt itself, and then return to the microwave for another 30 seconds. It should take a grand total of about 3-4 rounds of 30 seconds in the microwave and 30 seconds out. Don’t be tempted to just microwave for 2 whole minutes because the chocolate can easily burn.
- When the chocolate is melted completely, add the chili powder and stir to combine. Pour the pecans into the bowl and stir until they’re completely covered. Using a large spoon, spoon about 1 tablespoon-sized clumps onto the parchment paper. When all the clusters are on the sheet, dust with the optional shredded coconut and sea salt. Transfer the clusters to the freezer or refrigerator to set for 1 hour or overnight.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for one week or freeze for up to 3 months.