These crispy oven baked chicken thighs are the simple main course protein you need in your mealtime rotation. Serve up these baked chicken thighs with your very favorite side dishes for a delicious, effortless meal the whole family will enjoy!
Table of Contents
- This recipe is…
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Ingredients
- Recipe Variations and Modifications
- How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Recipe Tips
- How to Serve
- How to Store and Reheat
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Favorite Chicken Thigh Recipes
- Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
Are you team chicken breast or thighs? I definitely think that they can each hold their own, but when it comes to wanting a juicier, fall-apart cut of chicken, thighs win every single time! One of my very favorite things about baked chicken thighs, though, is that crispy, crunchy skin. The combo of crispy skin + juicy meat can’t be beat. Just the thought of it has me ready to get in the kitchen and cook up a batch of these right now.
What I love most about these crispy chicken thighs? All that crunchy goodness can be achieved beautifully in a piping hot oven, rather than frying in a vat of oil!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No frying! Crispy chicken skin without the added mess or calories from a deep fried chicken thigh. You’ll become a crispy oven baked chicken thighs convert after just one bite.
- These crispy chicken thighs are so versatile. You can add spices or keep them plain, just add any side dish you like and serve.
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Ingredients
This recipe is more of a technique. High-quality chicken is key, but all that delicious crispy chicken goodness requires only TWO ingredients. Find ingredient notes (including substitutions and swaps) below.
- Chicken Thighs – bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs are the key. Make sure you source yours from a high-quality butcher or use Butcher Box. While you can also crisp skin-on chicken breasts in the oven with the same technique, the added fat from the thighs helps the skin reach its peak crunchiness.
- Salt – to season the thighs and draw out any excess moisture, you’ll use 2 teaspoons of sea salt.
A full ingredient list with exact amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
Recipe Variations and Modifications
- Glaze with a sauce – to amp up the flavor of your oven baked chicken thighs consider glazing your crispy chicken thighs with a sauce, like this balsamic glaze or this honey mustard. To prevent any sauce with sugar in it from burning, we recommend waiting until the last 15 minutes of the cook to brush the sauce onto the chicken.
- Switch up the flavor profile with seasoning blends – aside from sauces, you can use spice blends to customize your baked chicken thighs, think garam masala, za’atar, or jerk spice.
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
All you need is your prepared chicken thighs, a screaming hot oven, and a little time to make your crispy skin chicken dreams come true. To find out how to make it yourself, follow along below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the chicken thighs on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt on both sides.
Step 2: Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the skin is crisp and the juices from the chicken run clear. Rest 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
- Depending on your oven, your baked chicken thighs cook time may need to be adjusted. You can use a thermometer to check the internal temperature for doneness (you’ll want to see 165°F).
- Pat the chicken totally dry. If your chicken skin is moist to begin with, it probably isn’t going to crisp up like you want it to!
- Salt the chicken 30 minutes to an hour beforehand, if possible. This will draw excess moisture out of the chicken (so setting the thighs on a paper towel-lined surface is a good idea!) and allow the salt to permeate the chicken.
- Bake the chicken thighs on a rimmed baking sheet. It will release a lot of moisture, so you will need the rim. However, the high walls of a traditional baking dish will keep the steam circulating over the chicken thighs preventing them from fully crisping.
How to Serve
These crispy oven baked chicken thighs are really endlessly customizable, but you will never go wrong serving these with a simple vegetable side, like these caramelized garam masala carrots or these roasted asparagus, and starch, like this perfect baked potato or this wild rice stuffing.
How to Store and Reheat
To store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To freeze, remove the chicken from the bones first and store in a single layer in a freezer safe bag or container.
To reheat: If frozen, allow the chicken to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then transfer the chicken to a rimmed baking sheet and re-crisp the chicken in a 350 degree F oven until warmed through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Boneless chicken thighs will cook much faster, meaning the skin won’t crisp as well. And well, skinless, boneless chicken thighs won’t have any skin to crisp at all.
Yes! Sturdy root veggies like potatoes and sweet potatoes or cubed winter squash can cook for the full 50 minutes, while softer veggies like broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans, and bell peppers should be added to the pan in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
No. The fat from the chicken thighs and skin is enough to crisp them without the addition of oil.
400°F is the preferred temperature. It allows for quicker cooking and locks in the chicken juices for a juicier finished dish.
If you tried this Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below!
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 6-8)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the chicken thighs on a rimmed baking sheet and rub the salt into both sides of the chicken.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and the juices of the chicken run clear.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
- Curry Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Herbs de Provence
- Taco Seasoning