Gluten Free Lemon Barsjump to recipe
These gluten free lemon bars feature a buttery shortbread crust and a honey-sweetened, creamy lemon filling that will have everyone going back for seconds!
Y'all know how much I love lemon, whether its lemony kale, a squeaky clean soup, or this lemon poppyseed pound cake, lemon has an ability to make a dish sing like nothing else does. So, it should come as no surprise that one of my all-time favorite desserts in the spring and summer time is gluten free lemon bars! There's just something about lemon desserts. As much as I love rich, chocolate-y concoctions, I feel like lemon desserts deliver the perfect balance of sweet and tart while also feeling light and refreshing. That's why they're so perfect this time of year, especially for outdoor gatherings and BBQs!
A lemon bar has three parts: a shortbread crust, and then the creamy lemon filling, and either powdered sugar or icing on top. The filling is essentially a lemon custard made of lemon juice, sugar, and eggs then baked on top of the crust. After searching through many recipes, we decided that we wanted to make these gluten free lemon bars just a little bit healthier by cutting down on the sugar and using honey as our sweetener in place of cane sugar. The result is a lightly-sweetened, honey-scented filling that truly lets the lemon flavor shine.
For the crust of these gluten free lemon bars, we used our favorite shortbread crust made with King Arthur Measure for Measure flour. This crust is lightly sweetened with powdered sugar, and is deliciously buttery and tender. You can substitute coconut sugar here, but do know that it produces a slightly more crumbly crust. If you are looking for a grain-free crust, we'd recommend trying the almond flour-based crust from these apricot bars.
Once you've baked these gluten free lemon bars, you'll simply let them cool then dust them with powdered sugar and serve. We hope you'll enjoy this sweet treat all spring and summer long!Print
Gluten Free Lemon Bars
The perfect light, fresh, and tangy spring dessert!
- Prep Time: 00:15
- Cook Time: 00:45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9 lemon bars 1x
For the crust:
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), chilled
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar*
For the lemon filling:
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup honey (may also use cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Powdered sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine flour and powdered sugar in a medium sized bowl. Cut butter into 1/4 inch pieces and add to flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, combine the butter with the flour until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Press crust mixture into the bottom of an 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Add the eggs, lemon juice, and honey to a large bowl or the base of your stand mixture and beat on high speed until the honey is fully incorporated, then mix in the flour and baking powder. Pour the lemon filling over the crust and bake for 25 minutes, until set.
- Let cool for at least one hour, then sprinkle powdered sugar over top and serve!
**You can use coconut sugar in place of the powdered sugar called for in the crust, but just note that it will result in a more crumbly crust.
**For a dairy free option, you can substitute ghee for butter.
**For a low FODMAP option, you can substitute white sugar for honey.