Gluten Free S’mores Barsjump to recipe
With a buttery graham cracker base and melted chocolate, these Gluten Free S'Mores Bars are one of the easiest (and most portable) dessert options out there! Even if you're not gluten-free, these graham crackers can't be beat.
When our friends Amber and her hubby Joe (+ their 3 amazing kiddos) moved near us in San Antonio, we got together 1-2 times a month for dinner. Amber/Joe cooked, Austin tossed giggling boys up in the air, I played arts & crafts with their oldest, and then we'd all sit down to eat together. After dinner, Amber would bring out a thoughtful dessert, the kids would each grab their serving, and then they'd head to bed while us 4 adults stayed up late listening to music and playing a board or domino game. These were some of my favorite nights and you know, as much as I love exploring new restaurants, I'd still choose those evenings in over getting dressed up and going out. You just can't beat a home-cooked meal, baby “night night” hugs, and games with friends that go too late into the morning hours because we'd keep upping it with, “best 2 out of 3 … now 3 out of 5 …etc.” This was back before our own baby arrived, so our late nights out have slowed way, way down. Thinking back on these sweet memories, one of my most FAVORITE nights over at their house involved Amber introducing me to a new sweet treat.
I still remember the first time I had these Gluten Free S'Mores Bars. Amber (an amazing cook who is also responsible for these fajitas) had these Gluten Free S'Mores Bars sitting on the counter. At first glance, I thought it was a baking project just for the kids (like dirt worm pudding or birthday cupcakes). I asked her about them and her eyes lit up (she loves s'mores, too). “They're S'MORES BARS!” I hadn't ever seen one before, so she explained further, “you take a graham cracker, douse it in butter, cover in chocolate, and then roast marshmallows on top.”
A bit of drool fell out. I needed one immediately.
Goodness gracious they were delicious. I spent the rest of that evening sneaking back into her kitchen under the guise of grabbing “another glass of water” so that I could sneak another S'Mores Bar square. My generous friend shared her recipe and I've been making these bars ever since. They are SO EASY, my friends, and SO TASTY.
Truthfully, even if you're not gluten-free, I think these graham crackers are the way to go. They're thicker than normal graham crackers and make a great base for the bars. If you're diary-free, know that you can easily use ghee or coconut oil as a substitute for the butter.
These bars have become one of my go-to desserts that I make when we're having a BBQ or when we're headed to a potluck-style dinner. They can be made days in advance (they're counter-safe) and are always a crowd pleaser.
I hope you enjoy these bars as much as we do! I also hope that one day they're associated with wonderful memories of family time.
Gluten Free S'mores Bars
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place graham crackers on parchment paper and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with an even layer of the coconut sugar (if you like). Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Melt the chocolate chips via one of the two methods below:
- A. Double-boiler method: place the chocolate in a medium-sized glass bowl that can rest on top of a pot without falling in. Fill the pot with a couple inches of water, place the bowl of chocolate over top, and bring the water to a boil. Use a spatula to constantly stir the chocolate until it's melted and smooth.
- B. Microwave method: place the chocolate in a medium-sized glass bowl and microwave it in 20-second increments, stirring well between each spell, until it's melted and smooth.
- Let the graham crackers cool to the touch then pour the melted chocolate chips on top, spreading it out into an even layer. Lastly, place the marshmallows on top of the chocolate.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes, watching closely, until marshmallows are browned.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then serve!