The main course! This roasted chicken recipe is unbelievably juicy, tender, and flavorful. The fresh herb coating gives the skin a delicious and rustic crisp while the onion, garlic, and lemon stuffing make the meat exceptionally juicy and savory. Be sure to calculate for generous portions – you and your guests will be thankful. This is another recipe designed for entertaining – just make sure you get started early. It takes a while to cook and as long as you pop it in the oven before your guests arrive, you will have your hands free to mingle and socialize.
Serve alongside my sautéed merlot mushrooms and zucchini pasta.
If you have leftovers, this meat makes a GREAT topping for salads – especially when mixed with herb/lemon vinaigrette!
(Of course, feel free to halve the recipe if you’re cooking for less people or for kiddos who eat smaller portions).
Roasted Whole Herb Chicken
- 2 whole raw chickens – cleaned
- handful of fresh thyme
- handful of fresh rosemary
- 1 large lemon – quartered
- 8 cloves of garlic – peeled and crushed
- 1 yellow or sweet onion – cut into about 8 chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and set a metal baking dish aside (you can use a large sheet tray as long as it has a large enough siding to hold the fluids).
- After washing your chicken, pat dry and secure the legs. You can tie them with twine or simply secure them by cutting slits in the skin of the chicken near the cavity opening that you can poke the legs through.
- Cut and chop your lemon, onion, and garlic and evenly distribute between the cavities of the chickens.
- Chop your herbs and mix with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. (Feel free to save some in a separate dish at this stage – makes for GREAT fresh bread dipping for your guests and a sneak preview of the flavors to come).
- Cover each chicken with a generous slathering of the herb and olive oil mixture.
- Place the chickens in the trey and put in the oven for about 70 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit for about 10 minutes, cut and serve!
- Enjoy 🙂