Spooky 5-Layer Dip
I am just so darn excited to share this incredibly easy and semi-homemade Spooky 5-Layer Dip! We created this crowd pleasing appetizer by starting off with a little hummus, a layer of cheese, a spread of pico, a generous portion of guac, and then the spoooookiest topping of sour cream (web) and olives (spiders). It's full of flavor and so cute to boot! The second best part about this dip (besides it being so SCARY) is that you can whip it up in no time at all!
You know when it's holiday season and you've got ALL the parties to attend, and you've got the grandest of plans to whip up those elaborate dishes to take with you? You're imagining yourself breezing into your gathering with the fanciest Pinterest-worthy creations you spent hours putting together and being the star of the soiree, aren't you? ME TOO, except that I usually wait until the last minute and then panic about whipping up something from scratch because it's T-minus 30 minutes until I need to leave and WHERE DID THE TIME GO?! This Spooky 5-Layer Dip is for you friend. You can have your Pinterest moment AND not spend hours in the kitchen because what we have here is semi-homemade at it's tastiest!
As if I needed more reasons to love this dip, it's also so easy to customize based on what you have on hand in your fridge/pantry! Can't do hummus? Try your favorite dairy-free cream cheese. Love guac? Double up! You can also easily buy everything pre-made from the store and just assemble, or if you have a little extra time you can make some of your layers from scratch. I just love these easy recipes for guacamole and pico from the blog – they're some of my favorites to add flavor to any dish! It's so fun to give it your personal twist, and it will no doubt be a your signature creation at all Halloween parties to come.
Let's chat how to take this dip from just “regular ol'” to SPOOKY 5-Layer Dip! It's all in the arachnids friends! After layering all of your main ingredients you get to be creative! We use a piping of sour cream and a couple of large black olives to create our web and BAM, there you have it – SPOOKY.
How to make the spiders —
To create your spider(s), all you're going to do is take a large black olive and cut it in half length-wise (hot dog style). You're then going to cut the other half into legs (remember you'll need 8 to make this bad boy anatomically correct!). Keep a couple of extra olives around just in case you need to practice!
How to make the spider web —
Now for your web masterpiece. You'll take about a 1/4 cup of sour cream and place it into a piping bag or you can use a sandwich bag to create your own! You'll place the sour cream into your sandwich bag and cut the tip off one corner to achieve the same thing – super easy. You'll then start the web by essentially creating a bullseye design! Pipe a dot of sour cream into the center, then pipe a ring around it, about a 1/2 inch away from the dot. Create another ring about a 1/2 inch away from the first ring, and continue in this pattern until you've created your bullseye design. Then the fun part! Take a toothpick (or grab 3-4 together for a thicker line) and use just the tip(s) to draw lines outward from the center to the end of your bullseye design to create a webbed pattern. Don't drag too deep in the dip so that the pattern stays mostly on the surface. Place your spiders, and there you have it! Easy peasy.
Make sure to bring your favorite dip accessory (we love carrots or grain-free crackers) to complete your dish, and you'll be ready to monster mash! We hope you adore this party-friendly appetizer just as much as we do!Print
Spooky 5-Layer Dip
The perfect flavorful dish for your next Halloween party!
- Yield: 15
- In a large serving bowl, use all of your hummus to create your first layer on the bottom. Spread evenly with a spatula.
- Create your second layer by sprinkling all of your cheese on top of the hummus evenly.
- Create your third layer by spreading your pico de gallo evenly and gently on top of your cheese.
- Finish your dip layers by spreading your guacamole on top of the pico evenly and gently.
- Take 1/4 cup of sour cream and place it into a piping bag. (create your own piping bag by putting your sour cream into a sandwich bag and cutting the tip off of one corner).
- Start the web by creating a bullseye design. Pipe a dot of sour cream into the center, then pipe a ring around it, about a 1/2 inch away from the dot. Create another ring about a 1/2 inch away from the first ring, and continue in this pattern until you've created your bullseye design.
- Take a toothpick (or grab 3-4 together for a thicker line) and use just the tip(s) to draw lines outward from the center to the end of your bullseye design to create a webbed pattern.
- To create your spiders, take a large black olive and cut it in half length-wise (hot dog style). Then cut the other half into legs. (you'll need 8 legs per spider!)
- Assemble your spiders wherever you'd like and enjoy!
- Keep covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.