Pico de gallo is an amazingly healthy and tasty condiment that allows you transform mundane dishes with nutritious Mexican flavor. Pico is similar to a roughly chopped salsa but usually has a lighter/zestier taste.
I like to keep a batch on hand at all times. I use pico to jazz up everything from my morning breakfast scrambles to fresh spicy salads.
Please enjoy my family’s go-to recipe for pico de gallo.
The Perfect Pico
- 3 medium sized fresh tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of purple onion
- 1 small jalapeno or 1/2 large
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 limes juiced
- pinch sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, add tomatoes and onions cut into small (about 1/4th inch) cubes.
- Peel, finely chop, and add the garlic.
- De-seed the jalapeno using a spoon to prevent the pepper’s oils from getting on your fingers. Finely chop the jalapeno and add to the mixture.
- Chop the cilantro and add (feel free to add more or less depending on your taste for cilantro – I like LOTS).
- Pour the lime juice over, sprinkle with the sea salt/pepper, and stir.
- Store in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 5 days.