Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
Pico de gallo is an amazingly healthy and tasty condiment that allows you transform mundane dishes with nutritious Mexican flavor. Pico is similar to a roughly chopped salsa but usually has a lighter/zestier taste.
I like to keep a batch on hand at all times. I use pico to jazz up everything from my morning breakfast scrambles to fresh spicy salads.
Please enjoy my family’s go-to recipe for pico de gallo.
- 3 medium sized fresh tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of purple onion
- 1 small jalapeno or 1/2 large
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 limes juiced
- pinch sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, add tomatoes and onions cut into small (about 1/4th inch) cubes.
- Peel, finely chop, and add the garlic.
- De-seed the jalapeno using a spoon to prevent the pepper’s oils from getting on your fingers. Finely chop the jalapeno and add to the mixture.
- Chop the cilantro and add (feel free to add more or less depending on your taste for cilantro – I like LOTS).
- Pour the lime juice over, sprinkle with the sea salt/pepper, and stir.
- Store in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 5 days.
I literally just drooled as I watched the picture load. 🙂