Posted by http://fedandfit.com/easy-slow-cooker-tortilla-soup/
© 2017 Fed & Fit. All rights reserved.
Easy Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
For the Soup
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1.5 cups salsa
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For the Garnish
- 2 Siete Foods tortillas
- 3 tablespoons butter, ghee, or avocado oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Sour cream, if desired
- Shredded cheese, if desired
- Cook the soup base:
- For the Slow Cooker: combine all soup ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- For the Instant Pot: combine all soup ingredients in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- For the Stovetop: combine all soup ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot. Cook over medium/high heat for 45 minutes, or until the chicken easily shreds with a fork.
- After the soup is finished cooking, remove the chicken and transfer it to a large bowl. Shred the chicken with two forks or with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Place the shredded chicken back into the soup. Taste soup for seasoning and add additional salt, if desired.
- Cut the tortillas into thin strips and heat the butter in a small pan over medium-high heat. Once butter is bubbling, add the tortilla strips. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips and other desired garnishes.