Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
This roasted green and purple cabbage comes together in no time, has the most delicious flavor, and will give your dinner table a fun splash of color.
Oh boy, do I have a treat for you today! This past Spring, one of the most gorgeous cookbooks I have ever seen hit the shelves. Bill and Hayley Staley of Primal Palate dedicated their third and most stunning book to “the art of Paleo entertaining.” Gather walks you through 17 different occasions with full menus and tips for early meal prep to help make your entertaining lives easier. It’s the book that you want on your coffee table; filled with the recipes you can’t wait to taste; written by two adorable people you hope invite you for one of their fabulous dinner parties one day.
Bill and Hayley graciously gave me permission to share one of Gather’s striking vegetable side dishes with you all! The book is FILLED with mouth-watering, straightforward recipes sure to please even the most discerning crowd. This roasted green and purple cabbage recipe is no exception. Order your own copy here (it would make a GREAT gift!), and find Bill & Hayley at Primal Palate here.
Green and Purple Cabbage Ingredients
Just a handful of ingredients (most of which I’d be willing to bet you have in your kitchen already) come together to make this seriously tasty cabbage dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Green Cabbage – for this recipe, you’ll need 1 medium green cabbage and…
- Purple Cabbage – …1 medium head of purple cabbage.
- Butter – to jazz up the cabbage, you’ll need a 1/3 cup of melted grass-fed butter,…
- Dried Herbs + Seasonings – …1 tablespoon of dried thyme, 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary, 1 tablespoon of dried sage, and salt + pepper to taste.
How to Cook Green and Purple Cabbage
Y’all, this recipe is perfect for serving to a group, and it could not be easier to make! Here’s how you’ll do it:
- Preheat – first, preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Peel, Cut, and Season the Cabbage – peel the outer layers of the cabbage away and cut into 8 wedges each. Then, lay the cabbage into a baking dish and cover with the melted butter, thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Bake – stick the buttery, seasoned cabbage in the oven to bake at 400°F for 45-60 minutes.
- Serve + Enjoy!
What is the use of purple cabbage?
Purple cabbage is used just as green cabbage is! Using both here makes this dish really appealing to the eye (not just the taste buds!).
Can you cook purple cabbage the same as green cabbage?
You can! You’ll roast ALL of the wedges (both green and purple) for the same amount of time here.
What does purple cabbage taste like?
Purple and green cabbage are super similar, but purple cabbage does tend to be just a tinge sweeter (in flavor) and softer (in texture) than green cabbage.
- 1 medium green cabbage
- 1 medium purple cabbage
- 1/3 cup grass-fed butter melted
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Peel the outer layers of the cabbage away and cut into 8 wedges each. Lay the cabbage into a baking dish and cover with the melted butter, thyme, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes.