This homemade yogurt and turmeric face mask is chock full of antioxidants and probiotics that’ll promote healthy, glowing skin!
Table of Contents
- Why You Should Make Homemade Face Masks
- What is turmeric?
- Turmeric Beauty Benefits
- Adding Yogurt for Natural Probiotics
- Ingredients for Antioxidant Yogurt and Turmeric Face Mask
- How to Make & Apply a Turmeric Face Mask for Glowing Skin
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Favorite Beauty Articles
- Homemade Antioxidant Yogurt and Turmeric Face Mask Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good face mask?! We have a few favorite safer, store-bought options (like this one from our friends at Primally Pure and this one from Beautycounter), but making our own face masks adds a whole new layer of fun to the self-care game! This turmeric + yogurt face mask is loaded with antioxidants and probiotics, great for just about any skin type, and is an excellent addition to your existing skincare regimen! If you’re looking to mix up your mask game, check out our other homemade options: Soothing Oatmeal and Avocado Face Mask, DIY Clarifying Peel Off Face Mask, and DIY Pumpkin Mask – they are all SO easy and will do wonders for your skin…promise!
Why You Should Make Homemade Face Masks
We love the idea of adding homemade face masks to your routine for a few reasons. Homemade face masks are:
- Budget-Friendly – first of all, they are super friendly on the budget! If you mask once per week and rotate between homemade and store-bought masks, your store-bought masks will last you twice as long, thus saving you some serious money!
- Super Easy – another reason? Making face masks at home is *super* easy! It may sound intimidating, but it’s essentially just a mash and mix situation.
- Made with Accessible Ingredients – the ingredients are also super accessible – no scouring the web for obscure, mysterious ingredients when your skin can benefit tremendously from ingredients that you’ll likely find stocked in your kitchen at any given time!
- A Great Way to Switch Things Up – it’s also really great to switch things up when it comes to skincare products…we all have our trusty go-to products that make up the bulk of our daily skincare regimen, but throwing a few new, beneficial ingredients into the mix weekly (via your homemade face mask) can do wonders for your skin!
What is turmeric?
Okay, so now that we’ve (hopefully) convinced you that homemade face masks deserve a spot in your weekly skincare routine, let’s talk about THIS turmeric face mask specifically, and why it’s SO GOOD. First off, what is turmeric (and doesn’t it belong in things like soups and dressings?!). Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a flowering plant native to southern India and Indonesia and is known for its yellow-orange color, strong aroma, and bold flavor. The root is often used in cooking, but also has some pretty amazing medicinal properties and has been used in that capacity, as well as a natural skincare ingredient, for quite some time.
Turmeric Beauty Benefits
When it comes to adding it to your skincare routine, the health benefits of turmeric are plentiful! Turmeric is:
- Anti-Inflammatory – turmeric is an excellent addition to your favorite kitchen creations because it is super flavorful and anti-inflammatory, and the fact that it has natural anti-inflammatory properties makes it an amazing addition to face masks!
- Anti-Bacterial – turmeric has also been shown to have anti-bacterial properties, and because of this, can potentially reduce acne because of this.
- Rich in Antioxidants – because this powerful orange-y spice is rich in antioxidant properties, it may also aid in the prevention of hyperpigmentation and scars, while also fighting free radicals and slowing down cell damage.
Turmeric is also said to reduce skin irritation, treat fine lines and wrinkles, and *potentially* reduce the risk of skin cancer. Pretty powerful, huh?!
Adding Yogurt for Natural Probiotics
Adding turmeric to this facial mask seems like a pretty obvious move now, right? But what about yogurt?! It may seem odd to lather this tangy, breakfast staple on your face, but hear us out! Yogurt is super powerful and makes for an incredible face mask addition…here’s why:
- Yogurt is loaded with probiotics, and probiotics are FANTASTIC for more than just your gut – they’re actually really great for your skin too! Probiotics put up a fight against bacteria that causes inflammatory acne and have been shown to reduce overall inflammation, soothing current breakouts and potentially preventing future breakouts.
- Yogurt is also loaded with calcium, protein, and vitamin D, all of which aid in the fight against acne while hydrating the skin.
- The lactic acid in yogurt can help to dissolve dead skin cells, tighten pores, and reduce the appearance of dark spots.
SCORE, RIGHT?! It’s always so amazing to me how powerful food ingredients can be when ingested (of course) but also applied topically.
Ingredients for Antioxidant Yogurt and Turmeric Face Mask
Just a few natural ingredients yield a luscious, incredibly powerful, safe face mask! Here’s what you need:
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon turmeric powder is just enough to get the benefits of this amazing antioxidant.
- Plain, Unflavored Yogurt – 1/4 cup of plain yogurt forms the base of this mask.
- Ground Coffee – 1/2 tablespoon of coffee helps brighten and tighten skin, and also acts as a natural exfoliant when you remove the mask.
- Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon of lemon juice adds another layer of antioxidant power and helps brighten the skin.
- Honey – Honey is a great ingredient to add to your homemade masks, as it has antioxidant, antibacterial, and soothing properties.
How to Make & Apply a Turmeric Face Mask for Glowing Skin
Like I mentioned before, mask making is EASY! Honestly, after you make your first mask, you’re going to seriously question why you haven’t been making homemade masks all along (or at least I did!). Here’s how to whip this mask up quick:
- Mix the Mask Ingredients – in a small bowl, mix together the mask ingredients, and VOILA!, your mask is ready to go!
- Wash and Dry Your Face – before applying your face mask, you’ll need to wash and dry your face just like you normally would.
- Apply the Face Mask – after your face is clean and dry, using a flat brush or your fingers, apply a THIN layer of the turmeric and yogurt face mask to your face.
- Wait! – set a timer for 5-10 minutes (see below for mask time guidance!), then read the next chapter of that book on your nightstand that is just begging to be picked up, listen to a few minutes of a podcast, play with your kiddos, fold a load of laundry, or get started on the next task on your to-do list. We hope you’re able to enjoy a little bit of relaxation during this wait time, but we understand that relaxation isn’t always totally possible!
- Rinse – when your timer goes off, be sure to rinse your mask off RIGHT AWAY to prevent any turmeric staining! Rinse off with warm water and a washcloth (these soft muslin cloths are our favorites!) until the mask is completely removed, and then pat your face dry.
- Apply the Rest of Your Skincare Routine – once your mask is removed and your face is completely dry, apply the remainder of your normal skincare routine!
Frequently Asked Questions
While we think adding a mask to your self-care routine weekly is great, know that you can mask more than that if you’d like! In order to give your skin a break, though, we don’t recommend masking every single day – 1-2 times a week is a good number to stick with!
GOOD question. In short, yes, turmeric can absolutely leave a yellow tint on your face, but only if left on for too long. Our best suggestion for this is to test your mask on your arm or an area of your skin that you wouldn’t necessarily mind being stained (just in case that happens). To test, simply dab a bit of your yogurt + turmeric face mask onto your skin, set a timer for 5 minutes, and then wipe clean. If your skin isn’t stained, try it again but this time, set the timer for 10 minutes (our recommended turmeric mask time). If your skin tolerated 10 minutes of mask time (this will be different for every skin tone and type), you should be good to start using on your face! If your skin was stained after 10 minutes but not after 5 minutes, you may need to keep your mask time to 5-7 minutes.
Since this antioxidant mask is homemade, it definitely won’t last as long as a store-bought mask. We recommend storing it in an airtight container or jar (these are perfect!) in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Homemade Antioxidant Yogurt and Turmeric Face Mask
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coffee
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Wash your face and dry thoroughly, then apply the mask with your fingertips or a flat brush. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash the mask off with warm water and a washcloth, then follow your normal skincare routine. Any leftover mask will keep in the fridge for 5-7 days.