Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
Better your chances of using your salad greens by using this simple hack to keep them fresher longer!
How to Store Salad Greens so they Last for Two Weeks
I love a fresh green salad and like to think that when I buy salad greens, I am definitely going to use them all within the week. I always opt for the largest container, because optimism reigns supreme (plus, it’s always such a great deal). It never fails, though, the end of the week comes, and I have plenty of salad greens left for the picking, except they’re no longer crisp and fresh. They’re wilted and still waiting to be consumed. But sad salad greens no longer! This hack is so simple and seriously will extend the life of your salad greens for up to 2 weeks!
Kitchen Hack: Use a Paper Towel to Keep Salad Greens Fresher Longer
This hack honestly could not be simpler and doesn’t take any special gadgets or transferring of containers. Here’s how to keep salad fresh:
- Prep a paper towel. If you have select-a-size paper towels, grab two and fold or stack them on top of one another (if you have regular, larger paper towels, just one folded in half will do).
- Open the greens. Open your container of fresh greens and place the paper towel(s) on top of your greens.
- Close and turn. Replace the lid of the container and turn it upside down. The paper towel will catch and help absorb any extra moisture in the container.
- Store in the fridge. Store in the fridge and enjoy your greens for up to two weeks!
Ways to Use Salad Greens
Fresh greens can be used in such a variety of ways and can honestly be topped with or added to just about any recipe (which is great because they are chock-full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber!) If you’re looking for some ideas for how to use your greens, here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Greek-Inspired Meatballs with Quinoa and Arugula Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Spinach Salad with Spicy Lemon Salad Dressing
- Greek-Inspired Chicken Salad Bowl
- Spinach Orzo Caprese Salad
- The Easiest Way to Shred Chicken
- The Best Way to Store Fresh Herbs
- How to Save and Reuse Bacon Grease
- How to Reuse Leftover Veggies
- The Easiest Way to Cook and Crumble Ground Beef
- Prep Veggies Ahead of Time
- Make Ahead Bins for Fast Dinner Prep
- Prepare Equipment in Advance
- Use Cook Once Dinner Fix to Make Mealtime Easy
Just for You
Want more ideas like this?