This Mediterranean chickpea salad is bursting with flavor and fresh veggies, and perfect to make in advance for the week!
Table of Contents
There are few things I love more than Mediterranean flavors. If I’m out and there is a Greek or Mediterranean dish available, I always select it because it rarely disappoints! This chickpea salad is no exception. With fresh veggies and herbs, a tangy dressing, salty feta, and pungent red onion, this salad hits all the flavor notes and will have you eagerly awaiting lunchtime.
The other great thing about this salad is that it is so easy to throw together! There’s no cooking involved, all you have to do is chop up a few veggies and toss it all together. It also keeps and packs well, making it a great meal prep lunch!
Are chickpeas good for you?
If you can tolerate legumes, chickpeas are a great food to incorporate into your diet. They are a good vegetarian protein source, with a little over 10 grams of protein per serving. Chickpeas are also low on the glycemic index, making them a great source of healthy carbohydrates that isn’t likely to spike your blood sugar. Finally, chickpeas are also high in fiber, which is important for gut and heart health.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious salad!
- Chickpeas – Of course, it all starts with chickpeas! You’ll need two 15-ounce cans here.
- Cucumber – Next, you’ll need one large cucumber, diced into 1/2 inch pieces. The cucumber provides such a refreshing flavor to the salad.
- Cherry Tomatoes – We used about a cup of cherry tomatoes here, but you could dice up a regular tomato instead!
- Red Onion – Just 1/4 cup of diced red onion adds another great layer of flavor.
- Garlic – Would it even be Mediterannean without garlic? Two freshly grated cloves pack the perfect punch here.
- Kalamata Olives – 1/4 cup of chopped kalamata olives provide a delicious briny flavor to every bite.
- Feta Cheese – To be honest, most of my obsession with Mediterranean food may just be because I LOVE feta. This creamy, salty, flavorful cheese is just the best.
- Parsley and Dill – Fresh parsley and dill keep this salad feeling fresh and spring-y, and make it smell heavenly!
- Olive Oil – This is a recipe where the flavors of olive oil can really shine through, so I recommend using a good-quality oil like this one.
- Red Wine Vinegar and Lemon Juice – A combination of red wine vinegar and lemon juice adds just the right amount of acidity to balance out this dish.
Do you need to cook canned chickpeas before eating them?
Nope! Once you’ve drained and rinsed the chickpeas, you can toss them right into the salad and eat them right away. However, if you’d like a bit more flavor and crunch, you can also use our crispy roasted chickpeas in this salad as well!
How to Make Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Once all your ingredients are prepped, you’ll simply whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, to create the dressing. Then, you’ll place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and toss them with the dressing until fully combined. You can either eat it straight away or refrigerate for later.
Frequently Asked Questions
This salad will be at its best for about 2 days after making, but will keep for up to 5 – just expect that the veggies may get slightly mushy over time. We recommend storing it in an airtight glass container, and if you are opting to meal prep it for lunch, we recommend packing it up in individual mason jars.
This chickpea salad makes for a great meal on its own, but can also be used as a hearty side dish! We love the idea of serving it up with these Greek Beef Kabobs, our Dill and Garlic Baked Salmon, simple pan-seared white fish, or even roasted chicken. It would also be fantastic to bring to a summer cookout.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans garbanzo beans rinsed
- 1 large cucumber diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced kalamata olives
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1. Place the garbanzo beans, cucumber, red onion, cherry tomatoes, olives, dill, parsley, garlic, and feta in a bowl and toss to combine.
- 2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- 3. Toss the garbanzo bean mixture with the dressing, then serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.