Cauliflower rice is extremely healthy and extremely simple. You only need a food processor or blender to transform this often disregarded veggie into the highlight of the meal.
When I made the decision to go paleo, one of the foods I missed most was rice. I began experimenting immediately. I settled on cauliflower rice. Truly, if you get the right char on the cauliflower, you can fool your family and friends. My family is constantly surprised when I tell them they’re eating spoonful after spoonful of cauliflower.
The cauliflower takes on flavors really well. So, anything you decide to add to the dish will sing. I am a big fan of Chipotle and their cilantro lime rice. This dish is a tribute to their recipe.
Paleo Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head of raw cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion or yellow onion
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- 2 large limes juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sea salt and cracked pepper for taste
- Rinse your cauliflower and set aside.
- In a medium sized pan over medium heat, start browning your onions in the EVOO.
- Chop your cauliflower (disregarding the larger portion of the stalk) into about 1” cubes.
- Put about ¼ of the chopped cauliflower in the food processor (or blender) and blend until it has a small – grainy texture. Repeat for the rest of the cauliflower.
- [Note: I divide mine up into 4 steps so I can be sure that all the cauliflower has the same consistency. Too large of a batch could result in unwanted large chunks.]
- Once the onions are slightly browned, add the minced garlic.
- Stir then add the cauliflower.
- Sauté for about 10 minutes over medium/high heat, stirring constantly.
- The moisture from the cauliflower will deglaze the caramelized onions from the pan, allowing the cauliflower to take on the delicious char flavor.
- Once it is to your preferred consistency, stir in the lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Take off heat, stir in cilantro.