Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
This pesto chicken sheet pan dinner is the perfect weeknight meal! Chicken is marinated in a flavorful spinach pesto and baked alongside red potatoes for a healthy dinner the whole family will love.
If you’ve been around here long enough, you know we LOVE a good sheet pan dinner! When you’re in a pinch trying to get a quick but healthy meal on the table instead of ordering takeout, sheet pan dinners are absolute life-savers. The formula goes something like this: grab a protein, a starch, or a veggie (or both depending on what you have on hand), throw it all on a sheet pan, add some flavor, and bake! Voila, dinner is done with about 10 minutes of prep and then you’ve just got to wait for the oven to do its thing.
Veggie Spinach Pesto
The star of this pesto chicken sheet pan dinner is a winter-friendly and hidden-veggie-filled spinach pesto! We normally think pesto in the summer because basil is the main ingredient, BUT did you know you can actually replace the basil with an equal amount of spinach (or even arugula, kale, or another herb like cilantro) and end up with a pesto that’s just as tasty, and even more nutrient-dense? It’s true!
How to make Pesto Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
To make this pesto chicken sheet pan dinner, you’ll first cube the potatoes, which take longer to cook than the chicken, and toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then bake them. While the potatoes are baking, you’ll make the pesto, set half of it aside, then use the other half to season the chicken. Then, you’ll lay the chicken on the pan with the potatoes and bake for another 20 minutes and serve with additional pesto for dipping! This would be perfect with a simple side salad, or you could add a veggie to the sheet pan (broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans would all work great here) to cook alongside the chicken.
We hope you and your family love this pesto chicken sheet pan dinner!
Just for You
Want more recipes like this?
For the Spinach Pesto:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Clean the potatoes then cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, then place the potatoes on the baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt, and black pepper. Spread the potatoes across the pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the pesto. Place the spinach, walnuts, Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture has a coarse, sandlike texture. Then, add the lemon juice to food processor, then turn it to high speed and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Keep the food processor running for an additional minute, until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Coat the chicken with 1/3 cup pesto and 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, then add the chicken to the pan. Bake for 25 minutes, until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork and chicken is fully cooked through. Remove from oven and serve with additional pesto.
- You can substitute an equal amount of arugula or kale for the spinach in this recipe.